Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What amperage does a mori nv5000 draw

1320feet

I would like to purchase a 2002 Mori NV5000 mill.

I'm not sure if it will run on my 200 amp single phase power supply. The tag on the cabinet reads: FULL LOAD CURRENT 174A, CURRENT RATING OF THE SPINDLE MOTOR 151A and RATED POWER 60KVA. I’ve been told that the Japanese over rate these ratings, Is this true?

Does any one have an opinion on this phase converter for the task? http://www.phaseperfect.com/files/pt380specs.htm

Does any one here run this machine, that could take some amp load readings during high load conditions? What would the load be when the spindle is accelerating to 12000 rpm?

I would really appreciate some help.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The over rate them for a reason. DO NOT try to get away on the razor's edge with power.

kva = (1.7320508 x Volts AC x Amps)/1000

Do not forget that during peek times the voltage will drop causing a spike in amperage.

A lot of guys do not understand if you run a bunch of extension cords to power a hand grinder the voltage drops due to the length of the cord and the amperage spikes causing the grinder to burn out. Always use the shortest cord possible and your tools will last longer.

John

Very likely overrated based on your machine options. On our Mazaks, the nameplate indicates the transformer size, not necessarily the load the machine can pull. For instance, when Mazak field installed the big TSC pump motor on one of our machines, no change was required in the transformer.

I fired an electrical engineer that walked in here and couldn't understand that the machine didn't pull the nameplate's "rated current" all the time.

Hire an EXPERIENCED electrical engineer to help you out...it will be a safe and correct installation and he'll also sign off for the inspector.

Hockey guy and Eric:

In his application, the spindle and servos are not getting power directly from the wall, but the drives, that are getting their power from the machine's transformer. If his 200 amp breaker is undersized, he will simply pop the circuit breaker...not burn up the motors.