Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stainless mayhem

elraiis

hi guys.. anyone familiar with S.S? i got few question here this drove me up the wall...

first, for S.S 304, 316

AlTiN coating or TiCN?

I have AlTiN coated tools.. someone suggested i go high feed and small cuts.. and it runs nice.. but the tool life is horrible. am talking 8500RPM for a 1/2EM and cutting feed of 110in/m. DRY. tool does not live long at all its costing us a fortune.. what should be the proper alternative? or is it normal for the tool to die fast when cutting stainless steel? am not familiar... any suggestions is welcome please...

thx.

AlTiN should be fine. Spindle speed seems excessive, I would start at about 1/2 that for annealed 303/304/316 SS, maybe S4000, F50. Chip load of .0038 might could be increased depending on what you call "small cuts". Dry shouldn't be a problem if you have some good air to move chips out of the way.

At .04 radial cut you should be able to use the entire flute length if you need it and increase your fpt. Try leaving your feed rate alone just decreasing you spindle speed to 4500RPM which give a surface speed of about 600, and a fpt of .0061.

thanks jaz, i'll surely try that out. smile.gif dry?

but wouldn't this kill my tool faster hence the load per tooth increased almost to double? or is the main tool death reason with S.S. is the heat so reducing the rpm helps? just trying to grasp the concept!? smile.gif

I was assuming 4 flutes. Yes, dry if you have enough air to get the chips out of the way so you don't re-cut them. By 'air' I mean an air stream directly onto the cutter like through the coolant nozzle instead of coolant, not an air gun stuck through the door, otherwise use flood coolant.

The heat is what is killing your cutter. At only .04" radial engagement your actual chip thickness is much lower than your feed-per-tooth and you do need to keep that up so the cutter has something to 'bite' into and give a big enough chip to carry the heat away. The higher feed rate may make a problem if you have to dive into an internal corner somewhere resulting in signifigantly larger actual cutter angagement.

thanks alot... do not worry about gouging at corners i relief those to be sure of a consistant cut... what about ramping and helix cut depth and feed? i noticed my tool die the most when there is some sort of material removing while going on z axis such as ramping... i feel really annoying asking for all this help.. anything would be appreciated guys.. smile.gif thanks alot already for all

quote:

what about ramping and helix cut depth and feed? i noticed my tool die the most when there is some sort of material removing while going on z axis such as ramping

Most end mills are not really made for end cutting although they can do it. Set your plunge feed rate to what would work good for slotting or a little lighter then set your parameters to use the plunge feed rate when ramping down. In this case I would be looking at about F50 with 5 degree ramp angle. The shallower the ramp angle, the faster your feed rate can be.

thanks alot guys.. i don't care if all this is actually going to work or not.. i'll try and i hope it does.. but even if it doesn't.. still thanks alotttttt for all the help.. am going to test whatever you gave me today hopefully..

thanks again.. smile.gif

peace

hi again guys... unfortunately i can't get my hands on hanita varimills or fraisa... i know for sure that those are higher end tools but as they cost more, they won't buy them here. So am stuck using lower end coated mills... frown.gif unfortunately. i did my first test on mild steel as in keeping the feed up and only cutting my rpm.. i liked the result.. even the sound of the cut was nice and smooth so far.. so tomorrow... smile.gif i'm biting some stainless..

by the way, if i'm going 4500rpm while cutting with a 1/2 AlTiN coated Em... does that mean i should run at about 8500rpm when cutting with a 1/4EM coated? won't that be much? and is there another type of tool coating that would give better result than AlTiN for Stainless cutting?