Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal EMC

two words

We have 2 Fadals on the floor a 4020 and a VMC10.

I can say they get the job done.

We have a product that requires us to machine aluminum and some 1/8 x 3/4 brass.Any new products that we design is either aluminum or brass.

Now and then we cut steel.They are pretty simple to set up and run.I never use the control to program.I find easier to program on Mastercam and send the program to the machine.

I have had better machines,but I have had worst.

For the money I am satified.

LATER

Joe

Dear Two Words,

I have a Fadal 4020 with a 4th axis smile.gif . I've added the glass scales on my machine and do have a piece of mind when it comes to trying to holding the +/- .0002 tolerance. We do alot of complex cavity, cores and prototypes, this is where the fast processor really comes in handly.

Trevor:

As far as the maintance biggrin.gif

I clean all my filters myself every 6 months "for the air/coolant thru-the ball screw/spindle motor etc.." Have not had a tech-guy come out in last 1 1/2 years. If you use the Valetine 650 CF with the distill water you won't get any rust biggrin.gif

The one thing I do like about the Fadal is that... it's belt driven (spindle) not gear driven like the Hass... This can save you some big-bucks here if your gear were ever to go out. For the price you can't beat it!

Two-Words:

Lastly..... Before you buy a Fadal I do suggest you run the "3d CadCam Works check" for positioning and accuracy. Place 5 blocks on the table, one on each corner of the table and then one in the middle. Mill a 1.0 diameter oh about .500 deep. Make sure you take 2 spring passes.

Write a sub-program to indicate the holes for each position and repeat about the sub 5 times or so.

You will see how good of a machine it is. In fact, if you don't buy a Fadal try this test on the one you're thinking of buying.

This is something any sales rep don't want you to knowwwww...I did this test and went through 3 machines before I found mine biggrin.gif , I hope this help you cause I'm never on this site( to busy working) cheers.gif .......

P.S. Trevor, Can you do lunch this week smile.gif

Late

Ruben

We had two 4020s and a 6030 in my last shop (both several years old); none of them seemed to interpolate a hole round better than .001" and we could never keep the heads square in any of them. Always had spindle problems, too.

You do get a big machine for the $, but I always liked the Haas better (we had 4 VF4s and a VF2) for relatively even money.

Now, if I could just get a Matsuura for $70,000...

Thanks for the input so far everybody. I have run fadals for some time now and never had any real big problems and I do also find the control easy to use. I just wanted to know if the new EMC is worth the money for a small new machine compared to the other small macines like the mini mill.

Rubenr, hopefully you can check out the machine with me if I do get one because it seems like you know more than I ever will.

Trevor, I liked you words of wisdom in the other post. Did you hear that from Javier because I have.

Thanks all.

Steve, I can't recall what I might have said that coincided with a statement from Javi. Could you refresh me. I know that Javi is a HAAS guy. He was not too happy working on Fadal's with me. I have not heard much about the EMC. I had the new area rep come to my shop, but all we talked about were the Performance Series machines.

I have a good idea of most of the material you guys cut, I am wondering if you have looked into any routers. I have been doing a lot of research on those types of machines. I would be glad to share my "learnings" with you.