Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Shade settings default

Newbeeee™

• 8 months later...

Yesterday I made some changes to my toolpath colors and I saved the config file. Today my shade settings have been retained. My guess is that just changing the shade settings does not cause a save to the config (and I don't see an option to do so). So, saving the config in another place seems to have locked my shade settings.

Edit: I have just realized that shade settings must be changed in config to save the changes. In the toolbar menu it won't save to the config.

Newbee, I cannot find a way to save the option to have outlined edges on.

Here's the likely problem as I see it.

You set your config the way you like.

You're working, you may tweaked your settings for what you're doing at THAT moment, no you go into your config file and change something else, completely unrelated, the settings you have set some where now get saved into the config.

So my current working settings override my default config settings if I change ANYTHING else in my config.

IMO, this is just wrong, my current settings should NEVER update in my config unless I go into the config and change them.

I'm not certain that is what you're seeing but it certainly may be causing an issue for you.

quote:

So my current working settings override my default config settings if I change ANYTHING else in my config.

This is soooo 100% true! And the sad thing is, I believe it's been like this for all Version X's...so whats that 7-8 years? It's stuff like this that just never gets fixed that is irritating becuase its just not industry std. (and too much time gets wasted figuring out why) Default is default, and should stay until intentionally changed. I'm also still waiting for solid layout to see and use WCS system also, and a list a page long of other things..

If X5 had No "enhancements" and fixed all these issues, and just updated to 64b code...I'd be sooo dang excited!! Any bets??

It is unfortunate that it writes most current settings into the config file when you only want one item changed in the file. It does not seem to do it to all settings like the "outline shaded edges" setting. It is a real PITA when it changes a setting that can not be changed in the config like the number of pieces in the "break many pieces" function. For this reason, I only change settings and save the config in a new session. This way I only change what was intended and not everything else I may have temporarily altered.

quote:

I believe it's been like this for all Version X's

Even back to V9, IIRC. I bitched about this years ago. Anytime I make config changes, I always open a new session of MC and make the changes. That's how I've eliminated this problem...like LaszloK. wink.gif

FWIW, I'm still waiting for keep tool down to work in pocket remachining. It's been broken since V7. eek.gif

Thad