Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

32bit VS 64 bit?

Roger Peterson

From a Mastercam standpoint specifically, none really.

I WISH CNC WOULD RELEASE A TRUE 64 BIT APPLICATION!!!!!!

However from a system standpoint if you run true x64 bit applications AND Mastercam with the expanded memory ability and streamlining of apps, you can run everything without bringing your system to it's knees.

I can run SW, MCAM, outlook , browsers multiple other apps, burn a DVD a multitude of things.

It's simply put, just a better way to fly

I'm running XP 32 bit and my fellow programmer is running XP 64 bit. We both ran the bench mark and his machine was several minutes faster than mine.

The downside is that he seems to have more negative issues (such as software crashes) than I do.

FWIW

I've been playing with Windows 7 x64 and it runs great however it's not any better with MC alone. Catia R18 x64 launches ready to draw in 20 seconds and I can run multiple apps with no hiccups as John and Neil have said.

If you run 32 bit use XP. The 64 bit version is adapted and I've read it still won't recognize more than 4GB RAM. If you want a 64 bit OS use Vista Ultimate x64, it's native 64 bit so the 32 bit version is adapted and you will have fewer driver problems than Windows 7 which isn't released yet. If you build your own PC you can get motherboards with the P45 chipset which will support using 16GB of RAM.

So since I'm really only concerned with running Mastercam, and Mastercam for solidworks, and I'm looking at getting Vista (it looks like they will be offering free upgrades to windows 7 when it is released) would I be better off with 32 bit or 64 bit? Probably a quad core xeon from DELL.

How about Vista Business VS. Vista Ultimate? Any differences that I should worry about?

Thanks again for the help!

quote:

How about Vista Business VS. Vista Ultimate?

Vista Business will be good enough unless you plan on using your setup to do "multi_media" stuff. That is really about the biggest different between the 2 platforms.

Ultimate has everything Business has in it plus additional functionality

I've been using Win7 64 on a Core i7 machine since Feb and it Rocks. We are buying a number of new Dell precision work stations and specifically waited so that we can be included in the free Win 7 upgrade offer. What I understand is that X4's multi threading will work on XP but win 7 will be able to take better advantage of multi processors and multi threading so there should be a significant speed advantage. Since Win7 is a native 64bit OS if i was buying a new system (and I am) I'd go the 64bit route. FWIW I've had zero driver problems in the RC of Win7. The worst I've had to do is run in vista compatibility mode.