Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Debugger

Camdude®

My X4 debugger is crashing my system and the X3 debugger never worked right.

i have to use X3 right now because i am sharing files with other X3 users. Dont' have the option to have others upgrade to X4. i'll deal with the X4 debugger issues later.

Is there anyway i can get the posted code to output the post block info in X3 other than using the Debugger which turned out to be just a bugger instead of a debugger mad.gif

Steve,

i loved the fastmode debug method, nice and simple for simple folks like me.

i actually had a thought the other day but it got lonely for another and left. biggrin.gif

one of my favorite 3 stooges quotes comes from Curly.

" i'm trying to think but nothing is happening"

quote:

Really missing the 'fastmode' way of debugging.

That is not really the case you can fast mode it. It is not automatic, but it is in the debugger and works just like the old fast mode did. Go to the debug drop down and click on turbo. Then I only have the Nc Window and the NCI window open. Now it runs through the whole post and posts code just like fastmode. In the NC window make sure you expand it out to see the all the columns. You will see the Nc output along with the fastmode output in the next column. Sucks you can not copy anything out of it. What is cool is you can double click on the line and that exact place in the post will show.

I hear ya Ron, but the old fastmode was easier, faster, and more controlable. It just should have been left in there along with the new debugger.

quote:

I think that CNC Software made the right decision getting the post debugger in there, sure I sometime miss "fastmode" and I had hoped seeing a bigger improvement from X3 to X4, but if CNC Software will but some serious efforts into getting the debugger to work at a more acceptable level it would be a huge improvement.

+1

Definitely need a real debugger. Always amazed me that CNC had no more then fastmode and a standard editor. Even for their own post debugging.

But again no need to kill 'fastmode' to get there.

Ron,

that's my problem..the debugger is not working it just crashes upon startup so i can't debug my post. i'm going to have to go back to X2 debug there, then take the post and update to X3.

i just talked to CNC and their scratching their heads trying to figure out why it crashes.

Lars, reinstall did not solve problem frown.gif

Ok did not hear this from me. Clean out your registry in the current user and local machine for Mastercam and CNC software. Do a repair install of X3 and see if that works.

The above method is very very very risky and should only be done by people who understand what registries are and how they work and even then you better be sure you want to go down that road. I recommend you make a back up of your registry before you go do anything with registries that way you can always go back to the old configuration if you need to.

Legal notice if you try the above method and you kill, crash, or damage your computer I am not or any of the companies I work for or represent responsible for any loss that may occur. I make no implication I know what I am talking about or that this will help anyone in any shape, form or fashion. It is a suggestion and if you try it you try it at your own risk!!!!

The debugger in X3 and X4 will give you the same "fastmode" information.

While I agree the X3 debugger was broken, the X4 debugger is awesome!!!

It gives you all the normal "fastmode" stuff that was available pre-X3, plus a whole lot more.

Steve, did you read the entire X4 debugger document? It explains pretty easily how to get all the information you got in X2, plus how to use breakpoints, watch lists, and the Step into/statement functions.

This is beyond awesome for anyone who does real post work.

One tip I'd like to share: if you are using the debugger, disable the "Edit" checkboxes for NCI and NC file. They are unnecessary and can crash the debugger.