Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL Files and the Verifier

Don K

I created a 3d model complete with surfaces of 1/2 x 4 x 4 inch angle aluminum. I then saved this as an .stl file so I could define my stock in the verifier with this .stl file.

The problem is when I go to run the verifier the stock appears flat.

Why?

What am I missing?

Currently using X3.

You might need to go in in the verify window. There is a Yellow folder right above the man walking called "Options". Open it up and under stock options pick the file radio button. Then pick the STL file in the data folder or where ever you put it. This usually fixes the problem. HTH

Guys,

I see that Mastercam 4 is released so I downloaded and installed it. When I ran the verifier in this version it discovered that the .stl model wasnt water tight and prompted me to correct it. When I did this it displayed the stock properly.

Thanks for the advice.

Don,

In my opinion it is much better to verify from a solid than an stl. Do you have the solids option. If so instead of creating surfaces and saving as an stl just create a solid model to define your stock. When you go to verify your toolpaths select the radial button for solid. Then then press the white arrow button and you will be taken back to the grahics area. Now select the solid model you created as your stock and that will become your stock for the verification process.

for watertight problems , run the HealSTL c-hook wink.gif

and + 1 for solid , i create my solid stock on a different level then i use it as stock for verify

the only times i used STL it's when it's a lathe and mill setup . i save the lathe part as STL in verify theni use it as stock for mill operations

Don, it sounds like you may have created surfaces instead of a solid. The aluminum extrusion you speak of is a very simple solid to create, that can easily be used in your verify and be water tight. Just say hey if you need some help with making the solid. Also note, if you set up the material in the stock setup page correctly, raw material dimensions as a boundary, all 6 sides, you should see a block in Verify, not a piece of flat stock.

In my opinion, working with solids is faster, gives you cleaner results and is easier to learn than working with individual surfaces. Time consuming and complex wireframe geometry can be created from the solid in seconds.

The MC solids package if fine for getting your feet wet. From an investment stand point, Solidworks is the way to go, depending on the nature of your work and whether or not you have to make CAD presentations to customers.

quote:

Don, it sounds like you may have created surfaces instead of a solid. The aluminum extrusion you speak of is a very simple solid to create, that can easily be used in your verify and be water tight. Just say hey if you need some help with making the solid. Also note, if you set up the material in the stock setup page correctly, raw material dimensions as a boundary, all 6 sides, you should see a block in Verify, not a piece of flat stock.

I did try creating solids for a mill/lathe part and this did work. No problems with the "watertight" message.

Now I just need to learn how to draw an entire part in solids.

I did purchase the Mastercam4 Solids training manual. Should be here any day.