Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMG and Siemens 840D

GoetzInd

We have 3 Twin-32's and 1 Twin-42 DMG's at our other facility and the amount of down time is more than anybody should ever have to deal with. I personally don't work on them but I do see the monthly Machine repair statements.

Before you buy you should talk to some owners in the area and see what they think about the support they get in IL, and especially now that they have teamed up the guy from Arthur Machine Tool to create another Company.

Bottom line ask around!!!

We bought a 2axis lathe with a siemens control (810T - Baby brother of 840) as it is light years ahead of fanuc for on machine programming. In my opinion there is no comparison between this and the manual guide.

I have never worked a mazak, but I'm assured the siemens is very similar to mazatrol?

The down side of the 840 is it usually has a hard drive. This will usually last 3 years before needing replacing.

We went the 810 route because it doesn't have a hard drive.

FWIW, I love fanuc controls. We have 4 machining centres with Oi and 31i but do all the programming off line for these.

Just didn't want it to sound like a knock fanuc post.

HTH

I've used and programmed Siemens 840D controllers. They are horrible, and by far the worst controllers I have ever used.

The drill cycles are cryptic, with the -23,0,1,0,1,0 etc etc coding.

My favourites are Okuma, and then Fanuc, in that order.

We have a DMG DMU125P 5 Axis machining centre with a Heidenhain TNC530i controller. I've used that on a limited basis, and I've found that not too bad. The machine itself has served pretty well so far, so it is only used lightly, in a R and D role.

I used to program some Siemens control's, we used MC V9 Lathe. I liked using Mastercam to program them, but the Siemens support funtions could do most all functions you would want to do on a lathe. It had some really nice drilling and threading cycles. Used g54 g55 and so on, easy to set up. The monitors would go out and it was very sensitive to temp changes (didn't like the heat).

Siemens parts are very expensive, and sometimes it takes awhile to get what you need. If it was my coin I would go the Fanuc route. Well I did go the Fanuc route, my lathe has a Fanuc 18T, man that thing is so easy to get running.

The 840D is a highly advanced controller (eg. it can machine pure NURBS data), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be right for the job.

I've used two "DMC Evolution 70" 5 axis milling machines, one with a Siemens 840D and the other with a Heidenhain control. The Heidenhain control was a much easier learning curve for the operator (it's like fill in the blanks picture stuff), but the 840D produced MUCH better finish on 5 axis parts, and the cycle times I thought were quicker. Plus the operator got used to it after a few weeks.

I'd plump for the Siemens control if it's a 5 axis mill. It DOES have different cycle codes, but you'll get used to that in no time. The surface finish and cycle time reduction would swing it for me.