Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL models for stock

Bill H

if you got solid , it's way easier to use as stock then the STL

just draw the stock solid on an other level then select it as stock in verify

if i absolutely need STL, i use WCS for positioning, X-form STL works but it's a bit complicated compared to WCS

Thanks for the replies, folks, but since I'm not really proficient with Mastercam yet I've got a few follow-up questions and comments.

First, I don't have the solids package. I'm doing all of my modeling work in SolidWorks.

I've tried using the STL X-form command, but there doesn't seem to be a way to snap to a point on the model, so getting it properly aligned is pure guesswork. Also, I don't understand how to rotate the STL model so its coordinate system works with my part.

Please elaborate on using WCS. Is the idea to not mess around with the STL model, but instead create another coordinate system on the part that aligns with the stock model?

Bill, I don't have the solids package either, so when I use STL for verify, here's exactly how I do it. It works every time:

-In Solidworks, create a reference coordinate system in the same location and orientation as your main WCS in Mastercam.

-Save the Solidworks file as a parasolid XT or XB. When saving, go to the options in the save dialogue and change the output origin to the reference coordinate system you just created.

-Start a blank Mastercam file. Open up the XT or XB file you just saved. Don't move it, or add any WCS, or anything. Just save it as an .STL.

-When you're in the verify options screen of your actual program, select that .STL you just created. It will be the correct size and orientation, EVERY time.

quote:

I'm doing all of my modeling work in SolidWorks.

Check out SolidWorks Coordinate Systems at

Insert/Reerence Geometry/Coordinate System

Create a coordinate system that replicates

Mastercam Top plane.

When you Save As ( an stl,x_b,step or iges), click the Options button, then the Output coordinate system drop down.

Choose your coordinate system and hit OK.

When you import the resulting file into Mastercam

it will land as defined by the coordinate

system you built in SolidWorks

quote:

-Start a blank Mastercam file. Open up the XT or XB file you just saved. Don't move it, or add any WCS, or anything. Just save it as an .STL.

You can save the STL straight out of SolidWorks..

You can also save your stock as an X_B, X_T or

step file and use File/Merge to bring it into your part file.

Then you can define the stock solid as stock

or select it as stock from Verify. That way all your work is in one file.