Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Stereolithography..Beginning of the End?

ChrisD

I have been reading alot of articles on 3d Stereolithography machines lately and am very impressed with the technology. It got me thinking though... what happens to people like us in the near future if they are able to make it faster, and more productive. I am probably thinking too far ahead as far as advancement in the tech is concerned but I'm curious to get some other opinions from other people.

Do you think that this technology will eventually make the machining industry obsolete in the near future or not in our,(average age 25 to 55) life time?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

chris

Hey Chris...

It depends on wheather you want to work on the Enterprise or Voyager. Computer, tea, Earl Gray, hot.

Wait, wait; Computer, Molson, cold, very cold.

Seriously, I think we haven't much to worry about because of all the different types of materials and accuracies that are required. It will mean more competition since STL will produce cheaply but the tech is still quite a ways away. Perhaps there are prototype shops that can answer this better, but I know of two that cut plastic to get a more accurate and smoother parts.

Cheers

Pactec,

Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't say I'm worried about it. Hell, if I could get paid for just shoving in a STL file push the button and read my favourite magazine I probably would not complain, but it would never be the same as what we do now.

Also just to be clear on this post.

I'm not trying to put a scare into people or create any type of conspiracy theory.

cheers.gif

I should have thought of a better title..sorry

[ 07-23-2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: ChrisD ]

Loading a part and letting it run while you, let's say, did other things has always been the dream. We are still dreaming. But at least I don't have to stand at a pantograph or drill press and shove it back and forth anymore. Every year we get faster and more efficient, it would take a paradigm shift to change things. By the way, how come there aren't as many apprentice toolmakers anymore? Could it have something to do with a shift that's has been happening for a while already. What's that famous curse? "May you live in interesting times".

Take it easy...

It would stand to reason; if each year, things were cheaper and faster to manufacture, some day they would take no-time and cost nothing.

I think designers, engineers, buisness and consumers will always demand more and more. Untill that changes, the world will always need people, clever enough to produce their desires yesterday, on a shoestring.

quote:

Do you think that this technology will eventually make the machining industry obsolete in the near future or not in our,(average age 25 to 55) life time?

Sorry, I do not get your point.

Stereolithography and CNC Machine both are "Machining Industry". One is taking off material and one is put it on. Both are machine work. Both are controled by computers. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Most important, they are in different ball parks!

Personally, I do not think these two different methods of machining will make each other "obsolete".

"Machining Industry" (STL & CNC) will be replaced in the future. Have you watched movie "T-2"? Boy, if you have material like that, who needs machine! cheers.gif