Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hard mill help.

MotorCityMinion

Open pocket .24 wide x .59 long x .59 dp., P/M .002, D2 @ 60RC, from solid. Crappy 3/16 sqr. cornered e-mills in a side lock holder. Only plus is the Makino S56. Will adaptive clearing work for this? If not, what S&F, and DOC's, both radial and axial should I attempt? 4 pockets to do and no bull nose emills to work with is gonna suck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last Version of X1.

Sidelock holders on an S56. Please tell me that I did not read that. First thing I would do is knock the sharp corners off the endmill. A small chamfer will suffice. I would be inclined to just use 2D contour on that one with a step down around .004 and a feedrate of about 20ipm @ 7000rpm. You have a bunch of factors working against you there. The only positive is the machine itself.

I hear that. The machine is so under tooled it's a shame. Now read this, lol. They make us put diamond coated, steel shank tooling in the heat shrink holders then drill out the tools after we use em. Make ya want to cry. I also have to pull the indexer off the table to get the part on.

Back to the part. It's a 17" round ring about 1.25 thick. Sent it to HT, then wired the center bore, aprx 7" dia., with four dog eared cut outs in it, 1 passed it and POP, .008 potato chip. Stupid things get done here. I could have roughed those pockets to within .05 and life would have been so much easier. I'll snag a quick 45. x .02 on the corners and give it a shot. Thanks for the advise.

Get some new 3/16 emills w/ corner rads. Kenametal has some good ones(5 flute, variable helix). They are about $18.00 each, so not the end of the world. Don't know how many pockets you need to do but .59 is pretty deep in D2 w/ a 3/16 emill. Plan on a lot of tools and lots of hours eek.gif

I ended up sorting through our our used Nachi's, grabbed 6 that had blown corners, gave 'em to the grinders and specified a .01 to .015 cfer. These were 6mm Dia. and would have been used in the heat shrink holders. They relieved them with about a 45. deg relief. Didn't bother to ask after the 1st one, if it was acceptable, just did all 6. Now their weak as f#$%. (6 flute e-mills with a thick web). Crossing my fingers on Monday.

Thanks for the tips.