Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface fin in aluminum

Jeremy Grigsby

I'm going to be machining a 30 inch rad as a profile on the face of a part. It is a convex rad about 4 inches long. I need to get it done as quickly as possible while maintaining a 125 or better surface finish. There is also a .500 radius between the large radius and a flat. The ball mill would have to profile this too. Any suggestions on type of tool best suited, no of flutes, feedrate, stepover etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What they said or you could go with a 1" ball and up the stepover a bit then be able to profile the .50" radius instead of keller it in.

I would stick with a 2 flute carbide cutter especially if the tip will be doing a lot of work.

If it is 6000 series or up T condition aluminum you can run the RPM up to 15K probably, but if is softer like 2024 you might have to run the RPM slower to avoid slagging.

If you use a bull endmill it will act like a much larger ball does, but will fit in the .5 radius, as long as I'm imagining your part correctly. A ball, when cutting a shallow slope, is cutting with the tip at a very small radius, almost dragging the tip instead of taking a slice through the stock. You could use a 3/4" or even larger bull (even a multiple-inch insert cutter) with any sort of corner radius, so long as you know what that radius is. It will swing the cutting edge through the work instead of dragging it, plus on such a shallow dome it will act like a 6" or something ball mill as far as scallop height goes.

One caveat, this only works when you're cutting up and down the hill, not along it. For a dome you'll want a radial toolpath; perhaps one going from the center to halfway out, and another as a doughnut around the first at a finer angular pitch.