Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Milling Experiment

I wanted to test out the new dynamic mill and see if it was all hype or a truly clever toolpath.

I must say I was extremely impressed with the results, I could not believe how awesome it worked!

I threw together a page with pictures and videos, check it out. I used High Speed tooling for frugality, but even at 4K RPM it moves pretty quick.

http://www.alvarogil.com/cadcam/mastercam/...namic_mill.html

We concluded that when doing deep pockets, the dynamic is much much much faster than a traditional pocket!

i am with Colin on this one

set step over at 15% stay at 4k rpm and set the feed rate to 400ipm , you should get the job done way under 1 minute wink.gif

here the maths that i use (provide by ISCAR)

(tool dia - WOC) x WOC

TF= ______________________

tool radius

IPTxTF is your chip thickness

ipt/tf = compensate feedrate

so TF=.095

IPT=.005

compensate feedrate should be .052ipt

so finally .052 ipt x 2 flutes is .104ipr @4000rpm it's 416ipm

One of the tool guys I work with told me to step over %30 or 70%. Nothing in between, something bout chip removal... Not sure.

Alvaro we are doing seminars around the carolinas so people can see the paths run. It sounds so salesy when you tell them bout the cycle time reduction, they need to see it.

I am also doing a presentation at South Tec with Stewart-Haas Racing on Rapid Response Manufacturing, I hope alot of my customers walk out of there wanting to try this stuff.

Once a customer tries the first path they get hooked.

quote:

Are you using the back feedrate and micro lift? If you put in values that are too high for a back feedrate, sometimes the machine/control can't slow down quickly enough and it bangs the tool into the material. This can break the tool, or cause wear pre-maturely.

I have been getting tangency errors in Vericut;

"Warning: The tool positioned tangent to the stock material at a feed rate above the fastfeed threshold."

This doesn't seem to be a problem on our horizontals (yet) but is there something I can do to have the tool start at the cutting feed rate away from the part?

If you backplot the path in single step you can see the feed is still at back feedrate after the Toolpaths radius (50% on the part I'm looking at)has been completed. It appears to back feed right up to the removed material tangency. It also appears it's arcing with a G02 at back feed but backplot isn't telling me. Didn't X2 state the arc was cc or ccw? headscratch.gif

-Semi hijack alert-

Seeing this is making me motivated to upgrade to X4. Seeing this also makes me think that maybe I should be approaching simple contours differently. I usually use 50% stepover, 50% depth until I get to the final contour. Should I consider going up to full flute length, reduced stepover, increased feed?....

I just opened up the 2D HS toolpaths, it looks like some of the strategies are there. Another problem I have found is what are the correct parameters for loops and such, it looks like there is some good info in this thread. Would those be good starting numbers?

Well, this is the job I am working on right now, Nylon 6/6, about 1.5" tall. I am planning on profiling with a 1/2" 2fl hss end mill, 1" flute length. This is leaving .01 on the walls, should I just cut to 0? Haas MiniMill, 6000 rpm max. I have never cut faster than 150 ipm, some of the numbers I see being talked about are frightening, frankly, but also exciting.

These two parts are being cut out of a single block, I am going to do them in Delrin as well. I was going to use Peel Mill on the slots between the wells.

wellblocks.jpg