Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco HSM vs Volumill

peon

quote:

If you want to start a thread about your buzzword of the day, they created a special place for you to do it. Hijacking other peoples threads isn't the place.

Amen. Someone had to say it.

This is JB's typical M.O., jump in and change the subject.

I believe Rickster already gave him a place to post his usual rant.

Here you go JB, have at it

rolleyes.gif

I want Mastercam to do one thing and that is to program my machines. I would rather have it do that extremely well than put ANY effort into CAD. If I need to do cad work I use a real CAD tool like ProE or Solidworks. In a true design environment I believe they would run circles around spaceclaim. I would rather CNC software license Volumill than a CAD platform.

"I would rather have it do that extremely well than put ANY effort into CAD."

So you are saying CNC Software should stop all development efforts on Mastercam Solids and continue to be a stand-alone application rather than run inside of a quality CAD application? I fail to see where a stand-alone CAM program wouldn't need strong CAD tools to get the job done.

"In a true design environment I believe they would run circles around spaceclaim."

In your "true design environment" what happens when you want to reuse or modify solid models from other systems you don't own rather than remodeling the part from scratch as most users are forced to do with history based modeling systems?

We have many seats of Pro/E and we are looking at SpaceClaim to work with CAD models from companies we have acquired that don't use Pro/E so we don't have to remodel parts from scratch because Pro/E doesn't have the needed direct modeling tools. On top of that PTC themselves now admit that history based modeling is often not the right tool to use in many cases and for many companies. What do you make of that?

Licensing Volumill doesn't fix these problems.

Running inside a direct modeler like SpaceClaim would. It would also give you what you say you want... CNC Software wouldn't have "put ANY effort into CAD."

"I've been using HSMWorks in Solidworks 2 years. Stopped using MC within the trial of HSMWorks because I got tired of switching between programs and having to reimport model as changes are made."

You would never know it from reading this forum but lots of people are totally fed up with switching between separate programs. Starting with Mastercam X3 you can directly import SpaceClaim files into Mastercam but I'd much rather be working inside of SpaceClaim like you are working inside of SolidWorks.

HSMWorks told me they hit too many limitations running inside of Mastercam and that's why they felt they had no choice other than to create their own CAM package. The problem I have with this is their choice of CAD to run inside of. I don't think a history based modeling package is the right package to run inside of if you're a job shop working with non-native solids from other systems besides SolidWorks.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Johnny Press release speaks. rolleyes.gif Not a single original thought though. All regurgitated press releases. Clueless.....

We must all listen for the pearls of wisdom buzzwords from the almighty CAMCentric Expert Jon Banquer. NOT!!!!!

ROFL.... what a maroon.

quote:

HSMWorks told me they hit too many limitations running inside of Mastercam and that's why they felt they had no choice other than to create their own CAM package.

Sure Jon. Weren't you working for HSMWorks?

quote:

"
I'm committed to working with HSMWorks to doing just that. Shouldn't be too hard because their head of US operations and I see things in almost the exact same way and because HSMWorks is interested in what I have to say and wants to work with me.
" - Jon Banquer -

"Who I'm working with to deliver what truly will be the next generation of CAM:
-Jon Banquer-

"I understand why your shop did not go with HSMWorks. We have a lot of work to do."
-Jon Banquer-

......oh wait......

quote:

Jon is not affiliated with HSMWorks ApS in any way and that we cannot control what people are writing on the web. Anybody can get evaluation licenses of HSMWorks and test it themselves. I hope this clarifies any doubt.
- HSMWorks ApS -

headscratch.gifcuckoo.gifheadscratch.gif