Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bottom chamfer

belearner

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are we on a basic machining forum or a mastercam forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you not start somewhere ?

and he is asking a Mastercam questiom

So Mayday, please school us since you know a bottoming chamfer cycle in MC that no one else know.

On 3d contours, I have actually programmed using a standard chamfer tool, Contour 3d-chamfer, from the BOTTOM tool plane. Then, do a backplot, save the toolpath as geometry. Then switch back to TOP toolplane, and use a double-chamfer tool in a standard contour toolpath with the saved path for geometry. (Turn off the tool offset) You then just need to do the math on the shapre of your double chamfer tool, and set the contour depth at whatever it needs to be for the tool to touch. I use a "custom" tool that is draw exactly to match the real one, and you can see in backplot if you get the depth right

belearner,

I have woodruff key style cutters with a double 45 and like Dave says, you will have to calculate the depth but it works great after you get it dialed in. I use "Circle Mill" and start at center with 135 degree lead in/out.

connormac (forum member) posted a formula that I have printed out at work (I'm @ home now) that shows how to make it start in the dead center of the hole. If you cant find it on here I will post it 2morrow

HTH cheers.gif

Thanks for your help, and i found this:

"Someone on the board figures this out so I am just passing it along. It is perfect for holes.

(Dimeter of hole - diameter of tool) / 2 x .4142 = Y

Put Y in in length and radius and 135 degrees in sweep.

This has the tool come down in the center of circle every time."