Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Makino Tooling Advice

Mr. Wizzard

As part of my machine testing, I would like some recommendations for tooling up a Makino S56 V11. The test part machined by Makino looks excellent and if we decide to go with that machine, I would like to have the proper tooling for it. The advice I received on machine choices was greatly appreciated and extremely useful.

The machine has 20k cooled spindle, thru coolant, flood coolant. Machining will be 99% 6061 aluminum. High speeds on complex surfaces.

I would appreciate recommendations on tool holders for carbide endmills and tooling systems and manufactures.

Example: makes, shrink-fit, collet, taper (HSK or 40), pull studs, etc....

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks again guys!

We are looking @ getting the Makino D500 or Mori. As far as tooling goes we will probably get Haimer shrink fit for the long tight stuff, and Nikken milling chucks for the metal removal. We decided the HSK was the way to go for the spindle. We have herd a lot of good things with the HSK spindle as far as projected run out and tool life.

I think Makino only ofers HSK in the 20k and 30k.

Shawn...

The HSK50 is a little weak for some of the cuts you have to rotate A and B over and have a tool sticking out past a gage of 7.0". I like the HSK 100 or KM if its an option. The body on the KM is a little longer and the draw bar pull is stronger. They use one more ball to expand the body and draw it up in the spindle. Not sure if hsk 100 is an option on those smaller machines.

X4

IMO, Wrong Makino for Aluminum if you ask me. You need the 30 or 40k spindle. We use that same machine where I work and without the high RPM's, we can't achieve optimal feed rates with small dia. tooling.

Heat shrink is the way to go also. We use the HSK holders (No pull studs). Other than lack of compatibility with the rest of our 40 taper machines, it's a good system. A benefit actually, as none of the other schmucks in the shop can xxxx my tooling. You can get some fairly long necked tool holders that will run true and give that extra reach without sacrificing rigidity. Because your primarily machining aluminum with that machine, your tooling is going to hold up real good, less wear on the holders by reducing the number of times you heat the tooling up. 1/2 dozen or so ER collet holders for edge finders, indicators, drills, and what not.

Even with a 20K spindle, the S56 makes some very fine finishes without using arc filters.

Recently had a talk with a Shunk guy bout the tribos system. He said since it is only a 3 point contact system, it is best used for light cuts...finish work. Personally, I would be checking out Rego-Fix Powergrip system. Easy to balance, more holding power than heat shrink. The extended tough to reach holders....whatever your preference of heat shrink stuff.

If I had my choice of "ultimate" options, I would be looking at a Capto or a Nikken NC5 spindle. As it is tho...Either a "Big Plus" or HSK spindle will do just fine.

We tried the Tribos system and returned it. Not that it was a bad system but the tool holders were a bit on the bulky side. We went with a Bilz shrink fit system and a combination Haimer / Technics for tool holders. Technics are much cheaper than the Haimer and work just fine. Definitely go HSK. We have HSK 63A and 63F. The 63F is junk - stay away from it. HSK63A is an equivalent of a CAT 40. For aluminum the 63A would be a good choice.