Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dual Monitors Help

Reverend Turk

Ok, I have two computers. One that is an online comouter for email, the other is our new programming box. It is offline.

I have two new Dell Monitors. I curerently have one monitor run to each box and use a KVM switch to bounce the keyboard and mouse from one to the other.

I would like to run dual monitors on each box, that way I have a bigger window to use Mastercam in..plus..it is just much cooler.

I have a Quadro 1700 in he online box and a Quadro 1800 in the new box.

What else would I need to accomplish this so that I can have dual monitors on each box other than a dual monitor KVM switch?

I hope I stated this clear enough. I am not a computer genius but know enough to get in trouble.

You might want to look a little closer. Are your video cards for 1 VGA & 1 DVI port? If so you may have trouble. That type viedo card did fine for me with dual 21" CRT's but wouldnt run dual 24" DVI dual link wide screens.

Your monitors have 1 of each port but your better off using just the DVI ports. Forget using the buttons on the monitor to switch between inputs. I bet you have to push a button several times to navigate menus and select input. So since you must use a KVM switch you gotta find one that will work with DVI-D which is a dual link digital connection. The switch you want says its VGA and DVI (analog) and other switches state DL or dual link. this one doesn't. You'll need a different KVM and some DVI/VGA adapters. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

A given card spec, such as a 9800 GT or a Quadro 1800 can be made by several different companies, like MSI or EVGA or BFG. These companies may also have different versions of those cards with different ports and such.

A VGA port is the old-fashioned monitor port with 15 pins and a trapezoidal plug. A DVI port is the new digital monitor port (Digital Video Interface) that most flat panels use. Here:

dviandvgaportsbd1.jpg

The white one on the left is DVI, the blue one on the right is VGA.