Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Defining a tool

Thad

In the parameters page when defining a tool, the cutting speed, feed per tooth, number of flutes, rough and finish XYZ stepover...are these values only used if you allow MC to calculate the speed/feed for you? I'm thinking that if I assign a speed and feed for the tool, and then using the roughing/finishing pages to define by stepovers, I don't even have to enter the information above when setting up a new tool. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thad

Thad if you are asking, do I need to fill this info out if I am going to set a pacific feed and speed and not have it calculate it from the material. You only need to give it this info to use with calculate from material. Other wise just leave it.

Hope this is what you are asking?

Thad,

Now, you are talking about something only "senior toolmakers", their experiences, can help.

Like post processors, MC only can give you a guide line on defining a tool.

Define a tool you have to consider: 1. your material, 2. your tool type, 3. your cooling method, 4. your part holding style, 5. your part finishing requirements (including the shape of the part you are cutting)...

Proper defined tool can make tool last longer, get better surface and finish job faster.

Try use MC guiding line on define a tool and fine tune your tools every time you cut a new part.

quote:

...Without tools he is nothing...

With tools and dose not know how to use them, also, he is nothing. - Bowling Ball biggrin.gif