Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O\T-VX CAM????????

mold100

Hi everybody,hows it goin?Quick question,anyone ever seen this system,or heard about it.I got a call a rep

wants me to check it out possibly demo it for him in a couple shops.He knows I am dedicated to Mastercam

And he didnt try to say anything bad about MC.ANY info ? thanks in advance.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm getting the impression from literature and internet buzz that they are trying to be a "Total Solution" from Design through Manufacture. The problem with this line of thinking/marketing is there is no realization from them that you can't be all things to all people. You're going to have some strengths, and you're going to have some weaknesses. They've got some great solid modeling capabilities but that strength does not make up for the weakness/limits on the CAM side. Now I'll warn you that CAM is what's most important to me. It's how I make my living and I can be somewhat demanding of the applications I use. That's my slant. Mastercam's CAD side is a bit weak in some areas but I tend to be forgiving for that because afterall, it is MasterCAM and NOT MasterCAD. VX is a bit more pricey than Mastercam when you get all the stuff that would be equal to MC's Mill Level 3, but you WON'T get 4-5 Axis (last I heard about 6 months ago). There's a pretty good and thorough writeup on VX in Desktop Engineering Website It was a few months ago though, but check it out. They even have some functionality mentioned in there, how things work, pros/cons etc...

thanks for the replies,I did some research,biggest customers are Marconi,Samsung,Gilette,and

NASA.They seem to be progressing,but your right,product and newly pretty cool mold design features.

They were dying in1999,Samsung dumped alot of money into them and now it seems they want it all,To overtake UG,PRO-E,they really have it for solidworks,and surfcam.They do now have 5 axis milling

but limited to only a few paths.I havent witnessed it yet but they say they have alot of new cam features,version 6 less than 8 months old.(I THINK).Any way I will keep you posted as to what I find out,

I am meeting with them Friday.I to prefer camming,Thats what I like.Oh ya its supposed to be big name in europe,we'll see.As a Pro-E/Mastercammer It takes alot to impress me.I dont fall for the BU@#$%T sales

brochure or salesmans lines. biggrin.gif

I checked these guys out yesterday on the web and actually talked to two different reps. Both were very honest with me and said that there is no way they can compete with MC on the CAM side. I liked the straigh-forwardness from these guys. The CAD side of their system looks great. I am going to be receiving an evaluation on them within the next couple of days. I will keep everyone posted. I have tried the Rhino stuff. Although it seems to be pretty powerful, there are just still toooooo many "clicks" for me. So, my search continues. I actually know one of the resellers I talked with yesterday. He was my counterpart at Titleist while I worked at Cobra Golf. He knows exactly what I am after and I beleive he would not mislead me.

All in all, there system sounds pretty good, except that the CAM side is really lacking strength. They are also supposed to have a really strong "mold making" package.

We'll see.