Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The perfect computer room

Candyman

Hi guys this is not really a mastercam question but more a computer question.

I am beginning to have eye problems while looking at the computer for long periods of time.. The fact that the walls of our small office are white, with white fluro lighting doesnt help much.. besides geeting glasses is there an ideal coulor to paint the walls to reduce reflection and any type of special lighting to use.. we tried a screen filter to reduce glare but it sits an inch away from the moniter and is not too cool to look at... any comments would be great... see ya

How old are you? i hit fourty and everthing

started to go down hill. not only do i need glasses. but a nice comfortable chair . two cups of coffee in the morning and a heater under my desk .

we have no florecent lights in the cad room.

just track lighting that is directional.

i bet colors are not as sharp as they used to be either.

regards

Hi Paul,

Our CAD/CAM operators like to live in the dark. They leave the fluorescent ceiling fixtures turned off and only have low wattage desk lamps turned on. They seem to like it that way. In my office where I have two, four tube fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling, I've removed two of the tubes from each fixture. That's made staring at a computer screen all day a little easier on the old eyeballs.

I have seen cases where the resolution on a monitor is set to the maximum resolution and the screen image actually vibrates, creating excessive eye strain. Set your monitor to one setting below the max and also check your frequency refresh rate of the video card to match the monitor specs. We also removed 2 out of 4 flourescent tubes in each of our office fixtures to reduce the overall reflections and light levels for easier viewing.

In our cam room we have a nice view of the snow falling today, but we have the shades pulled tight to keep out the light. We have great lighting, but we have unscrewed half the florecent tubes, and only turn them on when we have to look at print with people from the out side world.

We use the florecent lighting below our book shelves in our cubes, and I usually ware dark shirts to cut down on any more glare.

Is this any way to live? I think so.

I'm not anywhere near fourty yet but I have used junk moniters that blew-out my eyes by the end of the day and usually gave me a rather large headache. We have since invested in 21" moniters w/glare screens for all programmers. With a good refresh rate, 75 htz or better, and .26 or better dp, it has been heaven sent even with all the flourescent lights on.

------------------

We are using View Sonic P810 (professional series)moniters.

The Glare screen we use is made by Fellows and is actually a anti glare/radiation protector. You can purchase them in the range of approx $125 and up. The newer ones are also antistatic. I hope this helps.

TB

------------------

I also found that having the monitor raised about 6" and then tilting it down slightly decreases the glare a lot. We do not use anti-glare screens. My monitor has much less glare than our other designers because of this platform. They just squint more. I found taht a monitor with very good black and high contrast is much better. Price is no indication of ease on the eyes, mine is a DataTrain ( obsolete ) 19" and it is easier on the eyes than the two other 20" NECs.

Besides tiltng the monitor down, as Johns suggested, I like to keep my applications background color on the dark side, then wear a dark shirt to reduce reflection. Also, keep white papers from in front of the monitor. One major source of eye fatigue stems from the fact that we PC users unconsiously force ourselves not to blink. Afraid we might miss something, I guess. I always keep a bottle of eye drops in the drawer to restore moisture to the eye when this happens. (Usually on a hot job)