Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill point selection dumbness

Cannon

Does anyone else dislike the way Mastercam handles drill point order when you use point to point selection? I have a plate with a bunch of hole in it that are not so organized form and what I usually do is mask an arc, select all holes and use the point to point order selection. The drilling order should now be shortest way from one point to another, but I have noticed that Mastercam cant see the "big picture" but only thinks one hole ahead at a time. This results in ridiculous drilling order, where at the end of the drilling path it bounces one end of the plate to another to drill holes that havent been drilled yet.

quote:

only thinks one hole ahead at a time

You nailed it right there, Cannon. I've been meaning to post about this for some time. I wish MC had a smarter "next closest point" sorter where it doesn't leave a single hole (or a few holes) all by itself on one side of the part while it drills it's way down the other end of the part...just to return 150 inches back to the other side of the die shoe to drill the "missed" holes.

Thad

quote:

click on your geometry for the drill op and the resort option at the bottom. Or when you are selecting points from the get-go there is a sorting button their too.

I havent notice this changing it any better. All I want is a path that drills holes in a shortest route, condidering ALL the holes that I have in that operation. Usually I can use some other strategy from the sorting page but I dont want to test and try it every single time to find the right one.