Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engrave text from Solidworks

kunfuzed

When the engineers create a tool or a die, often it has some sort of p/n and other identification on it. In solidworks they project the text(maybe using "wrap") onto the solid, which when imported into mcam can have edge curves applied to it. The problem is that these are closed contours. We would like a sort of stick font that we could engrave with a centerline contour without having to create stick font in mcam over it.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I understand that solidworks may require closed contours for it's "projection", so there may be no better way.

Or does anyone know of a chook or something that will create center lines of text?

Thanks.

Thanks. We are able to do that, but what I'm taking about is getting solidworks to export text that is a stick font. Example being an "o" that is one circle instead of two concentric circles, that way we can just select one contour and engrave it with a small endmill.

We don't actually use real "engraving". Just contours with comp off.

Thanks.

I also use Odells procedure but I agree with kunfuzed, it seems kinda silly that I model something in Solidworks where engraving is part of the feature, for then "slap"(like that expression biggrin.gif ) mcx text on top. Now I know that Mastercam only gets whatever Solidworks hands down to them, in regards to converting Solidworks files into another format (like mcx) and I would not be surprised that sketch geometry might be pretty secured and locked up by Solidworks.