Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse chain bug?

Thad

When you reverse a chain, would you expect the starting entity to stay the same? I do, but it doesn't. I don't think it's always been that way, but I could be wrong. It's becoming an issue now because we're doing a LOT of shown/opp parts. When I mirror the geometry, I should just have to reverse the chains and regen. The problem is that I now have to change the start point because the entity that the chain starts on jumps to the adjacent entity.

To see what I mean, create a rectangle and use a contour toolpath to cut around the outside of it. Make it climb cut with the first entity being bottom line. Now, mirror the geometry. In the chain manager, right click-Reverse chain, right click-change sides. Now the chain starts on the left line. The start point has to be altered too.

Not a big deal when there's only one pocket, but try that to a part that has 60 pockets and 25 keys. mad.gif

I'm familiar with the mirror toolpath option and I don't use it for a few different reasons.

Thad

quote:

Since some users are Maintenance customers and some aren't, there are now a lot of possibilities as to what version everyone is running. It would be very helpful to state that in the question. Also, use the X2 message icon or other appropriate icon when posting to further help yourself get answers quickly.

Thad teh part-time moderator [big Grin]

tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

X2 MR2 SP1 Mill Level 1 with Solids

X2 or X4?????

Sorry I don't have X2 installed anymore.........

wink.gif

j/k Thad...........couldn't resist.........have another beer on me OK.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

Technichally, the start entity is the same.

No it isn't. It changed to the left entity.

If you meant to say the start point is the same, that's true *if* you don't have "start at midpoint on closed contours" selected in lead in/out, which I do.

When I select an entity to start on, I say to myself, "I want to start on this entity", not "I want to start at this point."

Thad