Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

need new motherboard/proccessor

thays

since my old mother board asus m232sli deluxe has went out i am contemplating a full upgrade.

i am currently using windows xp and using a nvidia 8800 gtx oc video card with AMD 6400x2 proccessor.

i want to move up to a motherboard that will hold 12 to 24 gigs of ram and paossible multiple proccessors.

what would you guys reccomend?

stay with the AMD proccessor and get ? motherboard

switch over to Intel and get ? motherboard

also should i upgrade to the new windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition so i can use more memory.

thank you for your assistance.

tim

i would love to move to apple but i dont know how much of my software is supported.

i did notice intel had a workstation motherboard with dual proccessors and 12 memory slots so i would be happy to upgrade to intel,to move into this board.

thank you for your advice i will keep my eye open for the proccessor you mentioned.

tim

Well, if you want access to that much RAM, I believe you're going to have to drop XP.

If memory serves me, the x64 flavor of XP can only address 8 gig max but the newer Vista/Win7 x64 can address that much and more.....

Jajaan! here's the mobo you'd want. Kinda serverlicious if ya ask me.

Linky

quote:

i would love to move to apple but i dont know how much of my software is supported.

lol in mac os? NONE! biggrin.gif

But mac's have the capability to bootcamp (dualboot) and run virtual machines that are hardware accelerated. So technically they will run everything and at the same time not. tongue.gif

I use virtual machines for solidworks and mastercam. They run fine on my mac pro.

Why would one go to the extra expense, hassle, etc to have to run dual boot, emulation, or whatever, when 99.999% of all the software (to be run) is written for the non-native OS?

Sounds like a kludge to me. If windows programs ran natively on OSX, than that would be a different story.

Seems like a lot of crud just to say "I'm a mac".

quote:

Seems like a lot of crud just to say "I'm a mac"

Yea basically. But with modern virtualzation, its like running it nativly. Like with VMware virtual machines, I can take a snapshot of my active virtual machine. When solidworks or mastercam releases a update, I take a snappy and load in the updates. That way I can test it to see if I like it and yet still can use the snapshot as a active virtual machine and have access to the old "stable" software. Plus in the mac os, virtual machines can take advantage of open cl gpu computing and be sent to a xGrid cluster computing network to up the speed of your virtual machine. Like I have said before, Virtual machines know no bounds. The amount of ram they can access is dependent on what you wanna give them. Their cpu's can be dependent on cluster networks and be whatever you want them to be. I am a huge supporter of virtualzation (and cybernetics) and personally feel its going to take off once win 7 turns into vista. It's finally linux's and unix's time to shine once again.

quote:

It's finally linux's and unix's time to shine once again.

Not in a million years.

You view this through your prism, where you are quite obviously a power user.

Most computer users are far from that. Many can barely send and email or navigate to a website. Using a CAM system is not a trivial task for some.

They will never migrate to something on those lines. Simply put, they can't.

quote:

Linux and unix have been the underdog for years since microsoft created its monopoly. I wonder why all the supercomputers in the top 500 list run linux/unix

For the "masses" it really isn't about power, it is about usability.

Linux/Unix are not usable to the "masses" level.

quote:

Linux and unix have been the underdog for years since microsoft created its monopoly. I wonder why all the supercomputers in the top 500 list run linux/unix [Head Scratch]

Because *nix was designed from the get as a multiuser, multitasking environment, whereas DOSdows was designed to be a single (very un-knowledgeable) user OS. Having owned a PC company that dealt with many types of people, I know that most would have been lost at startx...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's finally linux's and unix's time to shine once again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not in a million years.

Yeah, you think we have bug issues now... eek.gif

I would consider looking at the Dell Outlet for a Precision Workstation. I bought a Precision 690 a couple of years ago: give the option of dual Quad core Xeons, 32GB RAM (upgradeable to 64GB with a riser, also requires the 1KW power supply), supports dual PCI-16 graphics cards (with riser), up to 5 HDD, supports RAID 0 and RAID 1.

Buying on the Dell Outlet gets stuff cheap. I paid 50% of retail which included shipping and a 3-year onsight warranty.

Just a thought.

quote:

Have you ever used the newer flavors of ubuntu or fedora? They're extremely easy to use and perfect for everyday internet/mail/im stuff. Now freeBSD, not so easy. But Mac OSX is perfect for everyday stuff.

Ubuntu has made some pretty impressive progress lately. I have it running on one of my lap tops.

Im not a huge fan of Ubuntu as I love my BSD's, FreeBSD 7.2 on one pc, OpenBSD set up as a firewall using PF on another. Ive had some driver issues running BSD on my laptop so I decided to throw Ubuntu on there just to play around. Its impressive how easy it was to install and start using.

My BSD boxes have been rock solid with old tired hardware. ;P

Adding to this completely derailed thread I do 90% of my web development on a 1G coppermine with 384 m of ram and Ubuntu feisty. It isn't slow dishing out the pages. No need for more. Will Windows 7 even run on a coppermine?

About the only thing I can't make happen on a linux box is Mastercam. But then again I have never tried.