Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Varying Depth of Cuts

cincy k

Could the folks at Mastercam consider adding an option to vary depth of cuts on the milling operations?

Basically, I'd like to be able to vary my depth of cuts for just about every milling and facing operation. Maybe perhaps in the depth of cut menu having a zone that you'd like to keep your roughing depth of cuts between. Say for instance between .050 to .1 on the same toolpath.

Logic behind it is trying to eliminate a depth of cut notch that wears on many of my inserts and endmills. This is especially true for difficult to machine materials.

Would be even cooler if the path started out at the max depth and slowly backed off the depth of cut trying to get the most wear from an insert by gradually making the notch larger.

Or are there other alternatives out there?

Thanks

Cincy, this is something that was on the 'wish list' for the Lathe product a couple of years ago [that was never implemented] to combat the same problem, particularly on ceramic inserts. I never thought about it for milling, since we don't do much of it, but it seems like a good idea.