Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Blend Fillet Problems

haroldm

Hey Guys, i have uploaded a file to the FTP called "Tube loft" and i am needing some help. when you get the file open you will see two distinct lofted features and i am trying to blend the two. The radius is not important but the bigger the better, it is for air flow. I have tried this in solidworks, Rhino, and mastercam, but i cant seem to get anything that looks nice or consistant, so i would appriciate it if anybody else could lend their expertise. i can fillet maybe one side but then the other side wont do it, so i am at a loss. Thanks for the help. smile.gif

Ok this is really not that hard. What you need to do is create a chain network that will give you the surface you are looking to create. I would use the 2 apex lines from both. I would then create a radius at the top and then a radius at the bottom. Now use the net surface and you will find a much better blend then trying to use anything else. Starting with a sharp then trying to go to a smooth is going to create all types of problems. Can you get away with a radius at the top? This will make the whole process a lot easier to do.

HTH

Not sure what you are really after, but did an example that will hopefully help. File is called CRAZY_TUBE LOFT.MCX.

Also on Net surface you can use as many along and across chains as you want, but for better results make sure you keep the same number of chains in each along group and across group. You can also create cross section and try the Spline Blend it will allow you to do some pretty wild blends.

Let me clear up the above statement. When I say the same number what I mean is the along group could have 1 chain for each of them and the across group could have 20 chains. The idea is that you are not limited to chains and yes a 1 chain along and 2 chain along with a 3 chain across and 15 chains across will work, but not you need to be very carefully you are using partial chain for your selection. Also a tip if using since chains change the chain selection method to single or it will give you a fit. You would think net surface would automatically default to since since other methods cause problem, but is does not so you need to do that much thinking for the system.

HTH

hey guys thanks for the help, i opened the file you sent Hardmill and i can duplicate that also, but i cannot achieve a larger fillet than what you got also, and on top of that, it does not trim up completly. I split the parts and i was able to put in a larger fillet but it would only work on one side. Anyways, i have gotten the boss to back down and we will let the Fab shop just sand it into the mold..nice!

Thanks again for your help guys.