Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reamer Feed & Speed in AISI 304

Leandro

My usual rule of thumb for reamers is 1/2 the speed and twice the feed as a similar size drill. I assume this is a high speed steel reamer? If it were me, I would probably run this at 400 RPM and 10 inches per minute. I would use oil, not coolant to lube the reamer. Also, what size of hole are you drilling to begin? Usually I use 5-10% less than the finish hole size, but in this case, I might take that down to 2-3%. Perhaps 15/64" drill. That's just me. I'm certain that others on the forum have a far better grasp on reamers.

quote:

I am not succesfull with the results when i use a reamer in Stainlesteel.

In size, finish, tool life?

Many factors influence the outcome of reamed holes. The amount of material to be removed by the reamer plays a HUGE factor and as I always preach, get the info from the manufacture of the tool, that's your best bet.

BTW, nothing wrong with oil but it's not always practical. We use coolant 100% of the time (soluable oil) and have very good results.

quote:

but they always ream about .001 oversize.

Maybe because the reamer is running out within the holder, hard to tell.

We have found that the amount of material the reamer removes makes a huge difference on the hole size outcome. Less is not more. As a rule of thumb, and only a rough guide, we find that reamers need approx. .005" per side.

Again, we always get the info from the tool manufacture.

quote:

1/2 the speed and twice the feed as a similar size drill.

+1 I can never understand why some people treat a reamer like a boring bar.

As for size issues I have sometimes found that not leaving enough material for the reamer will produce an oversized hole. If I have dialed in the reamer and the drilled hole is straight and true and I am still getting an oversized hole I will reduce the drill size slightly.

Bruce

I am reaming .192 diameter holes in 304 on a job now with great success. 750 rpm and 5.0 ipm . This is my process:

Drill to .177 diameter (4.5mm Guhring series 5514)

Plunge holes with a .1875 carbide endmill

Ream to .192 diameter with a 4 flute carbide tipped reamer

I am using coolant only and I made sure the reamer was indicated true. I usually like to leave a little more for the reamer but in this case it is working fine. When holding tight tolerances with reamers +-.0005 I usually order a few different brands and test them in a bridgeport to see what size they actually ream to before putting them in the machine

HTH

Check out the lead on the reamer and the chamfer of the drilled hole. Make sure the chamfer is slightly larger than the finish diameter.

quote:

We have found that the amount of material the reamer removes makes a huge difference on the hole size outcome. Less is not more. As a rule of thumb, and only a rough guide, we find that reamers need approx. .005" per side.

It depends upon the diameter. A .125 ream needs a .120 hole, a .50 ream is best around .484. I drill .0595 for a .0625 ream.

[ 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: left coast lefty ]