Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need recommendation for Tool Holder supplier

Guest SAMCRO

Yesterday I was doing some 5-Axis test cuts on a Mustang Racing Cylinder Head in a 5-Axis Horizontal.

This head has been one of the most problematic for both digitizing and machining because of the narrowness of the port and the curvature involved.

There is one large "hump" near about 7/8" into the port that is caused by the location of the push rods.

This hump causes a required large tilt angle to clear as the tool path snakes its way down the port from the intake side. We're using lollipop tools.

I can get through the first 2 ports with no problem but tilt angle causes issues with clearance and travel for the last 2 ports. The positioning places the ports further away from the spindle home position. As the tool gets deeper and deeper into the port, the spindle housing itself becomes a clearance problem.

The setup itself is fine.

I just need to get some extended tool holders to give me the clearance for last 2 two ports.

I can get away with an extra-extended holder from COMMAND as we're already using their stuff.

I don't want to buy something to just get by if there are better solutions for the long term.

I figured the Horizontal gurus on the forum would have some ideas for holder companies try or possibly some indexable insert tooling & holder combinations to try.

TIA

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]

[ 02-20-2010, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: SAIPEM ]

The Sandvick Capto line of modular tooling is as stong as it gets. We're doing a Ti part for the Orion spae craft and needed an 18" long 3/4 ball

on a HSK100 holder. We used Capto extensions

ending in a screw-on carbide cutting tool.

Its working very well.

The beauty of the Capto system is is versatility.

Buy a couple of Cat 40 adapters, a half dozen extensions of various lengths and some shrink fit and regular endmill holders. The combinations are endless and the rigidty is amazing.

A couple of months ago I had to get a 4" face mill

14" deep into a cavity to clean up a face.

I stacked up Capto's till I had the reach.

It couldn't take a heavy cut, but we got it done

with repeatabilty and no chatter.

I'll definitely look at a couple of Sandvik CAT-40 Capto adapters and extensions.

Because it's a head-porting application, it won't be major tool loads so I'm sure a capto assembly will do it with no problem.

I'll be digging through the Lyndex/Nikken Catalogs as well.

Many thanks!