Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving on center?

can machine

A lot of times we need to engrave serial numbers on customers parts. How do I do this.

I tried using the note function under the drafting tab, created my text, used the break drafting into lines under the trim tab, then went to the engraving option. I does not seem to work.

I just need to engrave my stick font on center, 0.002 deep.

Yes, all of the above. When you select contour and the chaining window appears select 3d and window the lettering. you should then be promted to select a start point which can be any entity and thats where your tool will start. I dont understand the closed chain statement made previously. cheers.gif

Interesting I engrave all the time and was never aware of the engraving toolpath. Dumb me. I always used window chain contour. I always created letters using the creat letter option then their is no need to break to lines.

Can anyone explain a little more how the engraving toolpath works. At first glance it seems to work as a pocket toolpath. Meaning the letters cant be a stick letter but a box style? Is this true?

• 5 months later...

I'll have to play with that. So far it seems to just look like a cleaner pocket tool path. I would like something that would just drive down the aproximate center of the text with a given cutter size. I only want this becuase when engraving a panel with hundreds of letters, little pocket routines can be quite long on run time.

Are you saying engraving is capable of that?

Thanks for the help. cheers.gif

Edit: So far if I turn off "Rough" it just engraves the profile of the letter, not down the center.