Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool library reverting to an older date...

?Mark

I create, update and use custom tool libraries constantly. We have 4+ full time programmers here so all our custom files are on the network. About every 1-2 weeks one of our libraries will revert to an older version for some strangest reason. I can see it the moment I open it since the last several tools I created are missing.

At first I thought it had something to do with me "write protecting" them, but it also happened on a not "write protected" file.

I use those tool (mostly custom made) to drive 3d and multiaxis toolpaths and having them disappear is driving me thru the roof.

Also, lately our automatic network backup simply skips some files with .tools extensions.

I lost 1 particular file several times already, and a backup that runs every night restored file this morning that was last updated in March ???!!!

The restored files are consistent date wise with files of the same name but with .toolsbup extension.

banghead.gif

It has happened on a XP pro before and now on Win7 64. Always running the latest MC.

Any info that could help me here appreciated.

Thanks

It happened again.

I restored the file from a copy I had on my C drive (1 month newer that one created by backup cuckoo.gif ) . Opened it to check how many tools I had to recreate. Luckily it was only 2 tools that I lost so I opened the last one (newest) just to check it. After opening this tool it gave me the error that the path to the custom tool geo was lost so I tried to point it to the right file (the same folder) but got an error that the geo is corrupted??? At this point I close the library, open the tool geometry file to check it. Everything looks good (it worked before...) so I reopen the tool library to find that the whole library reverted back to the date when the .toolsbup file was last modified... (March 2nd)

This is crazy... cuckoo.gifcurse.gif

Mastercam probably has a dozen or so frustrating issues like this and we are just expected to learn to live with it. It is extremely frustrating and it makes Mastercam look bad. Mastercam is the ONLY software that I deal with on a professional level that has so many little bugs like this...

An example... 70% of the time I right click and drag in the operation manager to copy a toolpath operation, my toolbar configuration window pops up.

Mark,

You have an automated backup process that is restoring tool libraries to previous states? Why is a "backup" restoring files? Seems kind of backwards.

If it's really going by timestamps, any change at all to a tool library is going to change the time stamp. Try editing the diameter of a tool in MILL_INCH.TOOLS and saving it. The Date Modified will be updated.

How many versions of Mastercam do you have on your machine? Is there any chance that you are opening X3 part files in X4, but the operations and custom tools are pointing back to the X3 directory structure? You might be updating the X3 tool libraries and not the X4 ones.

Chris,

quote:

You have an automated backup process that is restoring tool libraries to previous states?

Not really. I have no clue where the .toolsbup files are coming from. As far as restoring files it is done by our IT people after I tell them that I lost the file (it somehow reverts back to an older date???).

quote:

If it's really going by timestamps, any change at all to a tool library is going to change the time stamp. Try editing the diameter of a tool in MILL_INCH.TOOLS and saving it. The Date Modified will be updated

It works for several weeks without a problem during which I constantly add and edit tools. Then suddenly it reverts back to a time that matches the timestamp of related .toolsbup file.

quote:

How many versions of Mastercam do you have on your machine? Is there any chance that you are opening X3 part files in X4, but the operations and custom tools are pointing back to the X3 directory structure? You might be updating the X3 tool libraries and not the X4 ones.

It happened 3-4 times last years on an xp pro box with many versions installed. My new box is win 7 64 bit with the latest MCX4 and no MCX5 beta on it.

Chris, where are the .toolsbup files coming from? Even after deleting them they pop right up with the same timestamp as the one I just deleted !!!

The file in question that I just deleted:

e-tools.toolsbup

created: march 25 2010

modified: march 02 2010

accessed: april 14 2010

???

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this but all our libraries are on a network.

Thanks!

Mark,

*.toolsbup files are created when you access a pre-x4 tool library in X4. For example, take one of our default tool libraries from an X3 installation and open it in the tool manager in X4. Edit one of the tools and try to save the tool library. You will be warned that you are overwriting a previous-version file. Select "Yes". Note that in the same directory, a new file was created with a toolsbup extension (bup = backup).

The tool libraries that are being restored (from It or where ever) are likely not X4 format. That is why the *.toolsbup files are being created. As to why your libraries are being changed / modified, if they are being shared, someone else could be making changes, pushing the libraries locally from C and overwriting your changes, IT restoring files for other people etc. There are a lot of possibilities here. If you can, try running everything LOCALLY for a while. I bet these errors won't occur.

Bob,

I'm looking at your issue now. Expect a reply soon.

Chris,

I personally updated all libraries to mcx4 and I never get a warning about overwriting previous version file. Would it have anything to do with those libraries pointing to tool geometry .mcx files that were created in previous version?

Thank you for looking into it Chris!

After running the tool library and saving it in X4, you can't open it in X3. BUT if the other shift is copying the tool libraries from C: to your network, it would overwrite your X4 libraries, and then when you open them, the toolsbup file would be created again. X5 will fix these problems with the ToolDB and tools-5 extensions. Something to look forward too. They CAN'T be overwritten by a previous version file.

And Bobs issue has been identified and logged as a bug. It only occurs in Windows Vista and Windows 7. If the user right-click and drags operations beneath the LAST operation in Ops Manager and copies them, the Toolbar menu will appear. If they are copied before, or somewhere in the middle, this will not occur. We're hoping to have this fixed for the next X5 beta.