Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V9 up to scratch yet !

Alan S

I feel muuuuch better about V9 now .I use it on a daily bases.

I have one job I am doing in V8 but only because the customer asked me to do so. So they could have my geo.

Now they have V9 but the bulk of the job is already done in v8 so I will finish it there.

JM2C

I have finally made a full transition to V9 SP1 from 8.1.1. It took me a while due to the problems I had with my post processor and with an upgrade to WinXP Pro, but all of the issues that I had with V9 seem to have been fixed with the SP1 release for Mill level 3. I am a happy camper now and use it on a daily basis.

Hi Alan,

I too had qualms about V9 but after playing

for awhile got to like it. Alot!

Posts from 8.1.1 updated no problem and I like the new stuff in V9. Waited until Sp1 to do full

blown program, but no problems even then.

All in all, I say go for it you'll love it!

HTH biggrin.gif

Jim

MC V9Sp1/LVL3-Solids

I hate to be the negative one in the group, but with the way I program (compensation in control- left usually) there are some bugs and quirks that need to be watched carefully. Feedback I've received from the Mastercam people (thanks for communicating!!) is that they will be corrected in V9.1. Very much looking forward to that release. So, I wouldn't wait for V10, but maybe V9.1.

Smit

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Smit,

What is the real advantage of using full radius/diameter over "Wear" Compensation? I've not been able to get a good answer yet. The best one was "Because we've always done it that way". Is it really that important to see the numbers that are on the print on the display? I mean if you draw it correctly, it doesn't really matter what the numbers are so long as they are correct. Right?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to get a grasp on why people do things a certain way so that perhaps I can learn something new too. Perhaps I'll switch, perhaps not.

quote:

I hate to be the negative one in the group, but with the way I program (compensation in control- left usually) there are some bugs and quirks that need to be watched carefully.

What kind of quirks/bugs? The only thing I've ran into is controler/machine limitations ie. tring to comp an arc smaller than your tool rad and CNC Software has put a button in there to optimize the cutter comp. There are rules to using cutter comp, you can lessen there restrictions by using the wear comp.

JM2C

Allan

P.S. Lets here about those quirks?

Allan,

The quirks I mention are in turning cutter comp on and off, in some cases. Cutting inside a 3 sided rectangle, for instance, V9 will sometimes not enter and exit perpendicular. It will instead cancel cutter comp to the last move, cutting the angle. Or turn it on with no entry and off with no exit, cutting angles. If I add .0001 to the X-Y stock it will cut the profile correctly.(?) Also you can change your leadin/out parameters to make it work correctly. That's the main quirk, and now that I watch for it and know the work around it's not that big a deal. But it did get me a few times . Also the verify won't display complete arcs (but Backplot will). Little things, as long as you catch them before posting. I've sent QC samples, they've verified the problem and I expect they'll be fixed in V9.1.

James:

The main reason I program this way is that it's easy for the machinist to verify the numbers on the screen, check accuracy and make the appropriate edits, when necessary. We have tens of thousands of programs, some dating back to before we had a programming system, and we prefer to keep things standard and consistent. If you're expecting full comp and get wear (or vise versa) it's a negative. I like to keep things in a familiar format for the machinists. I try to make things easy for them, because they are the ones who make the money for us. The easier it is for them the more they think about other things than "what the heck is he doing?" (They still do, of course.) And to paraphrase, "what is the real advantage of using "Wear" compensation over full? I mean if you draw it correctly, it doesn't really matter what the numbers are so long as they are correct." As Allan says, there are more rules that need to be followed when programming this way, but I'm aware of them and it's not a problem. It's really a matter of preference I think. Not saying I (we) will never change. I'm always looking to get better, faster and more profitable. But I think being consistent is the most important thing, if profits are equal.

I really do like V9. It's just not perfect...yet. Looking forward to V9.1.

Smit