Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating a custom tool

ruger2

I am running MC9.

I created a tool profile to size in X+ Y+ using a centerline from X0 Y0 to Y+ 2.0". It is a 1/16" 6 deg. included tapered endmill. I saved it in the tool folder. When I call it up....it is a miniture tool....with a miniture toolpath. What am I doing wrong? banghead.gif

Thanks,

Ruger2

your custom tool chain

cannot have any overlapping entities

or duplicate entiies.

It must be drawn at Z0 on Top plane.

I think V9 requies a dotted line to define

the c/l of the tool..Its been a while so I'm

not sure about that

Thanks Gcode....but I think I am doing what you suggested. If you will read my original question The only thing I forgot was to mention that I put a 3 deg. taper on the side. I used a centerline and it is in the top view in X+ and Y+. I must be missing something.

There are 2 different ways to build custom tools.

1. call a drill a drill.. if you do this, you draw the tool 1" in dia and set the diameter in the tools paramter page.

This is how ALL standard MC tools work..

In Lars example. its a standard drill and he's using nonstadard geometry to visualise his tool holders.

the other way is to draw your tool to its actual size and call it an "undefined" tool.

You must still set your size and corner radius

on the tools parameter page.

YoU can save the geomerty on a level inside your part file or as a stand alone mcx file in your tool library folder.

I have hundreds of tools drawn up this way and saved in a network tool library that are used by 3 different programmers and thousands of different part files.

[ 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

I think I might have it. It seems to me that in verify the tool should look bigger than it does. An 1/8" em looks like a 3/8" em....however the 1/16" tapered em looks like a needle. It is probably just me....but I will find out when I run it.

Thanks for all your help,

Ruger2

Sometimes the tool looks like it comes to a point in verify. To get the tool to look even close to what it is supposed to be doing....I have to cut on center of the toolpath instead of climb milling to the left of the toolpath. I keep getting the message...."Problems with custom tool file or data". It comes up as a warning....or is shown at the bottom right of the "Define Tool" page and a red "X" is shown on the right side thru the tool geometry?

I just emailed GCode and told him that we tried the same thing I am trying on another computer that has MC9 0n it. Doing the same thing I was doing....it worked on the other computer. I must have some corrupted files or something....Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Ruger2