Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

descending peck drill

kingsberry

I'm not sure if this is confusing to everyone or not. I am trying to use descending peck drill. I need to drill a hole with a short drill, then go back into it with a longer drill (same diameter), I want to do my first peck at -.650 and then go .015 the rest of the way to -1.5 . any help? Thanks

isn't having top of stock @ -.65 going to rapid to that depth and then start pecking. If so, i cannot do this, because the hole will be drilled previous at the same diameter. I need to feed down approx -.55 and then peck to -1.5 @ .015 peck.

I tried using custom drill parameters, but either my post will not allow it to work, or it just plain does not work. I am having a pull my hair out day.

If this helps, this is a small macro I use at the control on Fadals.

N1O9000*DEEPHOLEDRILLING

N2*R1=STARTDEPTH

N3*R2=FINALDEPTH

N4*R3=PECKCLEARANCE

N5*R4=CLEARANCEAMOUNT

N6*R5=DRILLFEEDRATE

N7*R6=RETURNPOINT

N8#V1=R1

N9#V3=R3

N10#V3=ABS(V3)

N11#V4=R4

N12#V4=ABS(V4)

N13#V12=R2

N14#V1=V1+V4

N15#V2=V1-V3

N16#:DRILL

N17#IFV2

N18#R1=V1

N19#R2=V2

N20G0Z+R6

N21G0Z+R1

N22G1Z+R2F+R5

N23G0Z+R6

N24#V1=V2+V4

N25#V2=V2-V3

N26#GOTO:DRILL

N27#:FINALDRILL

N28#R2=V12

N29G0Z+R1

N30G1Z+R2F+R5

N31G0Z+R6

N32M99

%

quote:

After you set your peck depths in the custom drill drop down, and the values that are grayed out will be visible and you can change them but DO NOT use custom drill cycles. Go back to your drop down and select Peck Drill again. The values will be grayed out but will be changed to .55, .015, .015

Thanks Keith, this works great!

Glad to share. I also do what Bryan Johnson said and de-select "Peck drill" in the machine def and have it post out long-hand code when I do deep drilling with 2 or more drills. I then change the 1st feed block to F50. so it will feed faster to the first depth and then below it change the feed back to the posted feed and it will start pecking at posted feed.

HTH also cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

It has to be my post then. When I do as you describe, my numbers do "gray out" but they keep the values set. But my NC data shows G98 G83 Z-1.5 R.05 Q.5 . I'm at a loss, and the day is almost over..i;m ready today. Thanks for the help.

I currently use this by setting my top of stock to Z-.65 ABS and my retract to Z-.55 ABS which gives .1 above your previously drilled hole. This has to be done in 2 OPs, the fisrt your .65 deep peck and the 2nd as I described, I do this all the time you should get something like

code:

G83 G98 Z-1.5 R0-.55 Q.015 F??  

Your retract must be absolute if you leave it on .1 incremental, my post at least, does not recognize it outputs out a regular R0+.1. idea.gif