Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scalloping problem

Hi, we are having problems with some .020" ali sheet metal parts we cut on our router.

The parts are quite long and narrow and the narrow edge ends up with scalloping along it instead of a nice straight edge.

The pink dotted line is where the problem occurs, and at the other end which is similar. But nowhere else on the part.

Im not sure if it is a mechanical problem - cutter flex etc or a prob with the dxf. We use 6mm carbide single flute, neutral (no helix) cutters.

ScallopingScreenshot.jpg

I have tried what was suggested in this thead

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...t=036802#000000

i.e. turn off infinite look ahead and the arc filter, no change.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Is there a way to upload the MCX file to this forum?

Any ideas or help appreciated!

Nick

Is the part being held down securely ?

I assume you use vacuum or tape for hold-down,

I would guess that the material is actually lifting or moving--

It may pay to alter the actal order of doing the contours

---RH & LH end contours 1st

then do

---top and bottom contours

This would allow maxumum hold-down grip while doing the ends, and the job's length will assist with hold-down when machining the long edges

quote:

To me it would suggest some gain adjustment has to be done at that end of the machine. The servos are not keeping up and over shooting as you speed up. Like any machine if the servos are fighting themselves then the faster you go the worse the problem gets.

Are you running a Fadal? biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies.

We run a Haas GR512.

Just looking at the machine visually the part doesn't seem to move or vibrate. I'll try screwing the part down and see if that makes any difference.

Colin, how would you go about changing the cutting order? We have tried using the change at point funtion (to slow the feed right down at the ends) but cant seem to get it to work properly.

Thanks again

Nick