Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Geometry Groups do you use them?

Okay 3 basic questions here. Encase some of you are not away of this. Geometry groups are created when you merge anything into Mastercam. I may merge 30 to 70 items on some of my files. I have not used Geometry Groups since going to X. At my other jobs I do not even talk about or teach them to people.

Problem some people have with Machine groups being erased or changed is somehow related to this problem. So please take the time and answers these 3 questions and I will submit the results to CNC software in the hopes that after 4 years something can finally be done about it.

Thanks in advance for any comments you have and doing the poll. I will put everything together that is collected after 2 weeks and send it off in an email and a letter to CNC software.

The old bump.

So far

12 say Yes they use geometry groups.

18 Say No they not not use geometry groups.

24 say yes they would like a switch to turn off geometry groups

6 say no they would not like a switch turn of geometry groups

25 say yes they have had Mastercam cost them time and lose money because of the machine groups being changed due to Mastercam's problem with geometry groups. wink.gifwink.gif

5 say no it has been good for them.

The next question then is for the 5 on question 3. How many different machine groups do you have? How many different geometry groups do you have? Did you even know there were geometry groups?

Your help with this is greatly appreciated. cheers.gifcheers.gif

We are running version X MR2. If you have geometry groups it jacks-up the operations manager. It will take toolpath operations and combine them with operations that use another tool and that toolpath group will disappear. I cant be the only one this has happened to. confused.gif

quote:

Have you ever had Mastercam mess up your machine groups?

I've never had Mastercam mess up my machine groups but Mastercam has messed up my machine groups without my permission. smile.gif

I read about the group importing issue but I'm not so sure that's the only reason for the toolpath/machine morf. I may or may not have had a morf during an import but I also have had them after part tool library building sessions and while creating toolpaths.

When X first came along I made it a habit to keep the groups manager cleaned out but as the years went by the habit went away. If I want to manipulate the entities I imported I just put them on their own level so the groups manager is worthless to me.

LOL. I was stuck with X Mr2 for a couple painful years. I finally got my own seat of X4 Mu3. The boss is just not interested in upgrading.

Thank god we're getting closer to a fully working version of Mc.

I'm pretty happy making the switch from X Mr2 to X4 Mu3, but I'm lacking some key functionality that I need for hermetics, and that is verification of all ops in one file.

Back on topic:

I'm not using Groups Mgr.

The Levels Mgr has all the functionality I need for manipulation as stated above.

I would like to be able to combine all ops into one mcx file, but I've been burned by the "ops manager shuffle", so I have an mcx file for every operation. It makes verify a real pita.

Now that's effin' funny. IDCWYA.

I have a really good feeling about X5 though.

I think maybe the programmers got some authority over marketing, if indeed that was the previous problem...IDK, but I like what I'm hearing so far. smile.gif

I think if marketing had their way, X5 would already have been released, and we'd already be pi$$ed. frown.gif

Kudos for waiting til' it's done CNC. smile.gif

The AE's know what they're doing. Be patient. I'm patient, it's all good. All good things in time.

I know from 20+ years of experience in the machine trade that hurrying someone almost always ends in disaster...or worse. frown.gif

JM2C