Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

double lock vises

Joels

Hello, I need to program 4 parts on one vise. The vise is a double lock KURT. So i have the center portion which does not move and the outer jaws that do move. I nee to program the parts 1-8 names E1-E8. what is the best way to locate the home position on E3,E4,E7 and E8? I would like to keep them the same place if possible. biggrin.gif

there will be 4 parts in each vice so i was going to give each parts a E fixture offset for a Fadal VMC. The parts will be the same as i am going to machine one operation at a time so all 4 parts will have the same operation. the second vice will be setup the same way but E fixtures 5 thru 8. I am looking for the best way to give all 4 parts on the first vice a E # or fixture offset.

Joel,

I am still a little unclear what you are looking to do.

If I understand correct, each part should have it's own workoffset, in your case E#. Not knowing if you will be holding these parts in soft jaws or hard jaws it's a bit hard to make a good recommendation. More than likley the origins of 2 all parts will be different and that's not a great situation unless you are profiling around the stock. If you are, the first OP will be fine but the second may not depending on the part tolerances.

Do you have experience with transform toolpaths and the workoffsets indexing within MC?

If you want to call me I can try to help you more, it might be easier to talk you thru it.

have you tried clamping those 4 parts in one vise? I've found that unless your stock is perfectly dimensioned, more than two parts per vise and parts start getting thrown or pulled by the tools, even with two, measuring each may be necessary to avoid it..you can program the two parts with one work offset if you only have G54-G59 or E1-E8, if you have G54.1P1-P48 or whatever you can assign each part its own WO.HTH

quote:

Unless you're holding [2] pieces of stock and making [2] pieces from each, I'm with Rob; two separate parts in one set of jaws is some scary sh!t

We did this for years but I never liked it. Old school. If the stock is not saw cut in the clamp direction it's not usually a problem. But, having stops set at different part edges can be an issue.

We no longer use kurt vises and we now only clamp one part per holding device.

• 2 years later...