Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parallel surface - finish, start point

MadPickinSkills

Hello,

Is there a way to create a specific start point for a Parallel surface - finish toolpath? I know there is a check box for use approximate start point, but I was hoping to be able to have the toolpath start at the highest point on the convex surface because there is some material left over around the edges of the part and the tool (ball EM) will plunge into if it starts on the edge of the surface.

If I understand correctly, you want to start cutting at the "high point" on the surface. Parallel really doesn't do that. It takes parallel cuts in XY at the angle you specify.

The "Start Point" pretty much tells the toolpath which "corner" of the surface to start at.

What you really want (I think) is a different toolpath. Try Surface Finish Contour.

This toolpath always starts at the "Top" of a surface and works downwards. You can use the "Shallow" button to add cuts by specifying a minimum stepover and minimum step down of the tool.

Can you post an example file on the FTP? Then we could give you better advice.

I can tell you that I barely use any of the "Parallel" style toolpaths anymore. There are newer toolpaths in the Mastercam arsenal that are much more efficient for machining...

"This toolpath always starts at the "Top" of a surface and works downwards."

By default. De-select optimize, then select order cuts bottom to top.

Parallel is one of the smoother paths and often produces good results with surfaces that have an incline of less than 30DEG.

You may also be able to force a start point at the bottom of your cut and work your way up thru the aggressive amounts of stock quite painlessly.