Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tech Tip, Multiple Parts using Transformed OPS.

Dave.L

Greetings Members,

Based on another post and member requests, I have created 3 sample files to demonstrate multiple part tool paths using transform operations. I have uploaded these files to the FTP (X4 files sub-directory) and they are as follows:

Transform OPS-sample-1.MCX

In this example, 4 parts are on the table and the program will process 1 part complete and then move to the next (process complete) and so on. This is not an efficient method but sometimes users may want to do this for many reasons (low quantity run and easy maintenance)

Transform OPS-sample-2.MCX

In this example, the same 4 parts are on the table and the program will be processed by tool order, still jumping from part to part based on the tool. Better, but still not the most efficient.

Transform OPS-sample-3.MCX

In this example, the same 4 parts are on the table and the program will be processed by tool order and operation order. Each tool will process all ops it’s used on for each part before moving to the next part. This is the most efficient tool path for cycle time.

Please realize a few things: 1) It’s late. 2) These are sample dummy files for the purpose of this topic only. 3) All examples have incrementing work offsets for each part location. Example, Part 1 G54, Part 2 G55, etc. If you have questions, please post them and I will answer.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I am well aware many members already know how to do this. This thread is for those who do not. Please feel free to add to this thread to help.

quote:

Thats my hang up, touching all tools off the G54 work piece and then only touching the "Gauge tool" off every work piece and plugging that # in?

Tony,

That is your issue -old school approach. I long term buddy of mine has an old Fadel and he does not understand tool lengths.

The tool should be touched off in a way the control stores tool length independent of the workoffset. Then, the workoffset can be set using any tool in the mag or automatically without the tool (for known workoffsets).

I hope that helps you. cheers.gif

EDIT: BTW, these examples are setup to post out different workoffsets per part location.

I'm not sure if this adds anything but I'll say it anyway. Say you want to create 40 of the same parts out of 1 piece of stock using 1 work offset. You can use transforming to machine all parts after the first part with a similar method. Do your 1 first path then transform it. You can even kinda of nest your parts this way if you don't have that option using transform mirror, rotate etc. You can subprogram using inc so your code isn't a mile long. This can be very handy. Thought I'd add a little more about transforming for those who don't know much about it.

I have only used transform a few times and here is what I had done.

No sub programs just 1 transformed group of paths.

Back in Jan i turned a 6 insert fixture into a

36 mold insert program to maximize efficiency in

changing inserts. Now the entire (36per)cor/cav sets

are Machined over night. They are doweled to the

fixture plate and the z level pick up are the same

and the locations are equally spaced grid pattern.

I used your #3 method without using the g54,g55...

locations. transformed the path 5 across (in x)

and 5 down (in y).

It turned my file size from 50 meg to 430meg.

It takes about 10min to open the file now.

and take a little patience to do a simple E.C.

but the path is Awesome.

Thanks for the tips. cheers.gif

Cheers

Rick

I created the samples for a few reasons:

1) I have received an incredible amount of help from this forum and I wanted to return the favor. I have no formal MC training and much of what I have learned came thru this forum. wink.gif

2) I get the impression that even some of the seasoned MC users have not used this toolpath much or even at all.

3) Transform tool paths can be applied so many ways. We would probably need about 20 examples to fully illustrate all the possible scenarios. I mostly use this for multiple parts. But as you all can see from the replies, there are many other uses.

i relize this is about using transform to get multiple parts but we use the MPSUBREP pst.

We programe and machine the 1st pc make any adjustments to the master cam file then repost with this pst and you get multi pcs in a subrep easy to edit not alot of code and you get efficent code ...i think not alot of users know of this post but it works great ...hth

• 3 months later...