Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports usability

Brad Lisle

Why can we not edit or even input text after generating a setup sheet in active reports? I would like to have the ability to edit notes or make changes as needed. I want to keep digital copies of all setup sheets but it makes it difficult if I can't make simple notes in the comment section. anyone else have issues with this?

I don't think many people are using the Active Reports setup sheet. I tried using it but could not make it work like I wanted, so I switched to x+ like everyone else, and I will probably never look back, like everyone else who switched.

Sorry I could not directly answer your question.

Brad,

You can make edits, but it is not intuitive on how to do it.

In the Active Reports Viewer, go to the "Annotations" drop down menu. Left-Click and hold down the mouse button on the 'Text Annotation' control.

Drag a copy of the control onto your report and release the button. This drops a text box on your form. Now, click the box to make it active and use the handles to re-size the box.

Now, to add text, right-click on the box and select "properties". This opens and attributes dialog box. Collapse the appearance node, and expand the "Text" node. Enter the Text you need in the Text field.

It makes it a pain right now, but it can be done. I'll request some enhancements to make it less of a pain. For example, you should be able to click in the text box and start typing. I think that CNC Software can enable that functionality in the future...

Newbee,

I can tell you that currently we use a VBScript to create our setup sheets in MS Word. From that point on it is not that easy to make edits to the document. Moving graphics and formatting text and controls (like text boxes) can be a pain. That is why we are going to convert to using the Active Reports feature. It is highly customizable and has some amazing functionality once you learn it.

You can save the report as a PDF, which is awesome.

I understand you can edit in OTHER text editors. I guess I am more or less making a suggestion. i just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before requesting for a change and looking stupid. Thank you all for your replies. Colin if you wouldmake a suggestion too I'm sure your words go much further than mine. Basicaly once the report (setup sheet) is created either antomatically open it in an editor or add the ability to edit in the active reports viewer. I DO NOT want to have to generate a report / save open in another program / edit / save as. Seams to be alot for something so simple.

All,

I haven't 'played' with the active reports and all of our set-up sheets (tool lists really) are produced in word.

Hence me saying it would be nice to be able to open them in word.

When editing the active reports can you change colours for instance? Again, sometime things need highlighting and bold red seems to do the job!

Cheers