Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pulling hair out with boring

Sbarner

Greetings all,

One thing that upsets me the most in lathe is boring operations. There seems to be no end to the combination of lead in/out, overlap, shorten end of contour, depth of cut, etc. to prevent the damn thing from crashing.

I wish we had a feature to tell the boring tool to start on a given diameter. For instance, in the part I'm making now, I'm "drilling" a hole with an endmill. At first I was leaving .005 on the bottom face. The boring op still saw that as stock to be cut...even though stock to leave in Z was .01". Adjust the endmill so that it leaves only .002" on the bottom face...same thing. Here's the deal. I know the boring bar is smaller than the hole by .100. I KNOW that this operation can work. Why must Mastercam lathe make me curse.gifbanghead.gif ? Why do I have to mess around with Adjust stock to make this work? [/rant]

The defaults for the lead out is usually the issue, when boring. I usually make a small lead out move like .01 and set the angle to about -5 deg.

You have the option now to tell it where to start the bore from. That point is the end of the contour in the X dimension so if you have a .5" boring bar and you drill to say .562" you should chain a line in -Z as deep as your bore then in -X down to .562". The bore will start at .562 + the depth of cut.

I put a file on the FTP. In the lathe folder, it's called "Cam Follower". Feel free to look if you want.

quote:

Are you talking about a rough or a finish toolpath?

The part where I'm having a problem is on the roughing pass. There is a .25" hole through the center, and a .75" dia x .65 dp bore. I use a 1/2" endmill to drill to .648" dp, and then just chain the bore geometry. The finish pass works fine.

quote:

Do you have "Extend Countour to Stock" checked?

No.

quote:

You have the option now to tell it where to start the bore from. That point is the end of the contour in the X dimension so if you have a .5" boring bar and you drill to say .562" you should chain a line in -Z as deep as your bore then in -X down to .562". The bore will start at .562 + the depth of cut.

This is probably what I'll do. Thanks for the advice.