Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compound Angle

TheePres

I have parts that need to face at various planes not parallel to base. I have discovered that by skewing part on Horizontal machine then rotating B axis i can do planar facing,our engineers were looking at farming out to 5-axis shops. My problem is in amount of skewing required, i did first by trial and error but was wondering if MC could give me solution somehow, maybe by measuring U-V's ? I have uploaded Compound.MC8 to FTP, in case somones willing to give it a shot.

Thank You.

Just a thought, make a line perpendicular to each planer surface, then measure the angles of that line in 'Front' 'Top' or 'Side' views as necessary.

(Cplane-entity, pick flat surface,save. Creat-Line-Endpoints, click a point anywhere, for second point enter a value of Z10.)

HTH, BerTau smile.gif

This is correct - grab hold of machinery's hand book and look up direction cosines. Analyse the endpoints of the line, use the relative coordinates between each (find the direction vector) and then use these coordinates in the formula. I would look it up for you but it is late Friday afternoon before a long weekend. Sorry

There is an easier way. Create a "curve" at the intersection of the two surfaces (Create, curve, intersect). Since the two surfaces are flat, the curve will be a line. You will need to rotate your part on the rotary table so that the line you just created to be parallel with the centerline of the B-axis.