Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Basic machining

pj99jj

I have been working in Tool and Die for quite some time. Mostly on manual machines. Alot of the time, what looked and sounded good...was good. Have now been thrust into a CNC and Mastercam environment. I love it!! One problem. I need a quick reference for feeds and speeds for milling , drilling and tapping. Well turning too. I can look each up in the Machinery's Handbook, but was wondering if there is a reference on disk or paper that would speed up this process. I hope that this is not a dumb request. Thanks so much!

I can't remember the name, and I am at home so I can't check for certain, but I think I am using METCUT on disk. It is only a beta version, so there is a bit missing. If memory serves me, it was $300-400. They also have a web version that you subscribe to, and buy a certain number of inquiries. If you are interested, I will check the details and post them.

Niagara Cutters gives away a pretty good feed&speed chart, which covers cutting various ferrous and non ferrous metals with HSS, Cobalt, Carbide Tin, TiAn etc. Order one from them via Internet or scam a few at the next tool-show.

It also explains and lists feeds per tooth. These cutting speeds can pretty much apply to other tools, though you can generally crank up the feeds with insert tooling.

Peter Eigler

I am not sure how to reply to each posting, so I will reply to both.

To Jenks: I will look for the METCUT online, hopefuly I can find it. I appreciate the help. Anything you have will be extremely helpful, but I don't quite have the $300 for the program. I realize everything is not free. Thanks for the input.

To Peter E. :I need to get to a trade show, it would be helpful. I am researching Niagra. Thanks so much. I would like to keep this subject open for a while, I know that I am at the right place to ask. Thanks to all!

There was a pretty extensive discussion about this a few weeks back that ended up with someone (MfgEng, I think) divulging a resource that seemed pretty good. Can you guys remember this...?

For my $.02, I use the Sandvik CoroKey [the Sandvik rep should give you as many of these as he can carry for free] often for turning and inserted milling applications. I generally use OSG's big book for HSS and HSCO milling applications and the manufacturer's books for drilling, reaming, and solid carbide milling applications.

My personal recommendation is to start out conservative and play with it in the machine if you need to pick up the pace; 5 minutes machining time saved isn't worth a smoked $60 endmill! eek.gif

C

[ 09-03-2002, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I use to work in tool & die too and i can tell you that we used different kind of toolings (sandvik, tageutek and valenite) and we had to adjust our feeds and speeds according with company. Ex.: we could use a 350 ft/min in D2 with tageutek and the inserts were lasting but with sandvik we needed to reduce to 275. I would tell you to refer to the company tech. data guide and start with about 80% and see. Sorry for lathe not enough exp. Hope it helped.

The following are my guidelines for cutting parameters. The things to watch for are temperature and chip formation.

SFM (Speed)= Temperature

IPT (Feed) = Chip Formation

Stainless (Most Grades)-

Carbide (Inserts)

Milling/Turning

400 (275-600) SFM

.006 (.004-.010)IPT

Steel (Low Alloy/Hardness)

Milling/Turning

600 (400-900) SFM

.006 (.004-.015) IPT

Cast Iron

Milling/Turning

800 (700-1200) SFM

.005 (.004-.010) IPT

Drilling

HSS -

90 SFM (Steel) 65 SFM (Stainless) 110 SFM (Cast)

CARBIDE (Solid)

120 SFM (Steel) 75 SFM (Stainless) 150 SFM (Cast)

FEED - Depends on Diameter and Flute Form (IPRev)

.0005 (1/16)

.010 (1/2)

.015 (3/4)

.018 (1")

Experience will be your guide, feel for the volume of material that you are going to remove and think in terms of the energy it will require to liberate it from the workpiece. Be the cutter, Feel the power, and become one with the machine...

The diversity of answers you have received here should show you the choice of speed/feed is not cut and dry. Each manufacturer's products will perform differently but with time you will come up with speeds/feeds that work well for you in the materials you use most often. In the mean time use the "technical section" in the manufacturer's tooling catalogue. Also look in the catalogue for the phone number to technical assistance. Those folks can also help you get in the right cutting zone.

Good luck,

Phil

Machining Data Handbook 3rd edition

ISBN 0-936974-00-1 (Set)

Machinabilty Data Center, Institute of Advanced Manufacturing Sciences, Inc.

This two volume set was actually developed by the US Army and eventually released to the public (est. 1980s).

The info is broken down with feeds & speeds according to tool diameters, radial/axial loading , etc! Metcut Research Associates Inc. is mentioned within these books.

Oddly enough, I find the feeds & speeds section of Machinery’s Handbook to be the greyest area of all; the largest contributing factor is your setup rigidity.

I tend to agree with many responses on this topic, I am, however, impressed with the closing remark from MfgEng – may the force be with you all.

Regards, Jack

quote:

Experience will be your guide, feel for the volume of material that you are going to remove and think in terms of the energy it will require to liberate it from the workpiece. Be the cutter, Feel the power, and become one with the machine...

I would only add, in my case "... and remember, that $75 mill comes out of YOUR pocket." LOL

biggrin.gif

[ 09-05-2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: MetalMarvels ]

I use machinery's hand book on CD for all my HSS stuff. For carbide I use Sandvik's milling calculator on CD, and Dapra's and Iscar's catalogs.

Nothing like optimizing feed and speed and then having the operators load in the wrong tools, swap uncoated for coated, reduce the feed and speed, and stop at every MO1 in the program to blow chips and deburr holes.

I can't win.