Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D CUT

yarn

ok so i am a student in school and our class is learning mastercam. Can someone explain to me the steps you would take to cut a surface that has a slope to it...or as if i was making a big fillet on something. Right now we can only figure out how to do straight edges and XY arcs but cant figure out XZ arcs or a YZ arc...does this make sense,...sorry still new to all of this.

Hi Yarn,

I am not sure what you are looking for. If you have you drawing drawn as a solid or a surface then use the Surface Rough and Surface Finish toolpaths to complete you project. There is no right or wrong path, generally they are picked for speed and finish. As with any solid you should create curves on all edges as well. This will allow you to use 2d toolpaths as well. Always use 2d toolpaths when ever possible.

If you need more information let me know and I will try and help you.

John

• 5 months later...

Hi Yarn,

3D toolpaths do not have a 3D cutter offset function so trying to use them to do a surface is problematic, toolpaths will tend to gouge.

I only use these when doing a 2D toolpath and I want to vary the Z value because the profile is on a slope.

Try the surfacing toolpaths. Flowline is fairly simple. often helps to isolate the surface and untrim it. This allows a certain amount of overrun to make sure you cover the whole surface.

Surface finish contour is also good but you should always use a containment boundary which is an extra step and you will also probably need depth control.

Read the help files as you go (? box on every parameter page) to help with all the options

Hope this helps