Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Tutorial

Eric S.

Hi

We have just upgraded to version 9 and solids biggrin.gif . I have never used solids before and very limited surfaces. So I think you will be hearing a lot from me in the the next little while confused.gif . At the moment I am just trying to plug my way thru the solids tutorial and have run into a snag while working on the nozzle. It all was going good untill I had to "reorder the operations" (pg. 57 if you have the book handy smile.gif ). When I try to drag the extrude boss operation to just above the shell opp. I keep getting an error.

Parasolid® Kernal Interface Error:

Local Operation Error:

Face Check Fails

Anybody know what I may have done wrong?

Thanks. Eric

Eric,

With Solids, sometimes you have to approach it from another direction. I'm not familiar with the exercise in the tutorial but usually when there's a Shell involved, you must be certain that the shell thickness would not eliminate a given feature, such as a fillet. Try moving the Shell op below the boss instead of moving the boss above the shell. It's usually easier to move things down rather than up, when resequencing the order of operations in the Solids Manager. You can also move the Stop Op to a position just below where you want a feature to be and then after creating that feature, move the Stop Op to the bottom again and it will often regenerate the Solid without any errors. HTH biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

I have not had the time yet to try again (I acually had to work frown.gif ) Man jumping up to solids seems like a big step! I am thinking I may go and take a course on solids. It would probably be quicker eek.gif , but I think for now I'll just keep plugging away. No jobs in the near future that can't be done without solids.

thanks again cheers.gif

Alright - got a solids 'how do I do it' for ya all... I e-mailed the .mc9 to Jay to upload to the ftp site for me.

This graphite part has laid up and molded already, and the alum flange ring riveted on. I just wanted to give a visual picture in my setup sheet.

When I shell the part, I want the three 24.235 radii ends to be open, not closed. I want the 'center' hole where the flange ring fits to be ope (without a wall).

Any Help? rolleyes.gif

Kathy

Kathy the file is located under solids.

I will give a whack at it this morning after a little work.

Cathy please veiw my file under solids.

File name is yours with my cadcam added to it.

Is this good for a what you want to be able show?

[ 09-28-2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]