Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SUGGESTIONS

HEAVY METAL

For completness in the emastercam knowledge web,

ASTM A514/A514M - High Yield Strength, Quenched and Tempered Alloy Steel Plate, Suitable for welding. (The Metals Black Book,Ferrous Metals 2nd Edition Volume 1 - Casti Publishing 1997 pg260)

Looking up a similar material in the Machining Data Handbook, (using 4340 as a similar material)

Q&T steels run in the order of 43-48Rc (416-465BHN).

Sandvik's technical data (LitCat 00-T)indicates a cutting speed of 400-750sfm@350BHN for a P10 (GC4015) carbide in a turning application. In a milling application, the carbide is spec'd to run at 805sfm @ 180BHN for a P10 carbide. As this hardness is above that I would multiply by .6 and use 240-450sfm to start and increase the chip thickness first and then up the cutting speed while maintianing the constant chip thickness.

Please post what worked.

I have worked with T1 in the past and it is a lot friendlier to machine if you can have it sub-annealed first. It seems to mill ok after that, but you still will probably have to run any drills or reamers very slow, around 30 or so sfm, from what I remember. Hope that helps a little