Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

simple CAD question

PE @ IHS

quote:

Could anyone enlighten me as to why Mastercam asks for Y co-ordinates for the second point when creating a horizontal line? Why it asks for the X co-ordinate when inputting the second endpoint of a vertical line?

Peter this not asking for the second point but the actull location in "X" or "Y" of the placement of the line it self.

quote:

I know I can hit enter, it just seems pointless, since the Y co-ordinate of a horizontal line can't be anything different than the current one. Ditto for the X co-ordinate of a vertical line

You are not makeing sense to me.

Why being able to give it a location pointless.

Unless you are talking about what BerTau was stating?

If this so then please quote so we may know who you are answering.

Hi Jay

I am speaking of a very simple cad concept. The reason I brought it up is because two people asked me this week this same question and I couldn't come up with a good answer.

Create/Line/Horizontal

(input X4,Y3.66)

then I can drag the mouse or input the destination value

-the destination should not prompt me for another Y value, since the value cannot be anything other than Y3.66. If I enter another Y value, the line moves to it, therefore ignoring the original Y3.66 that I entered.

Peter Eigler

Ok peter I see what you are saying.

I just did what you said creating the line Horz you are giving it an "y" location to tell it were to start and at the end it is prompting you again.

but in the same not create the line give it a "X" value to start from then it will prompt you for a "Y" location this makes sense.

But if you are giving it a "Y" value then it prompts at the end this is not logical.

But this tool does work well in different ways.

Peter,

I had the same issue many times - the answer is that AutoDesk and SmartCAM have polluted the market place into thinking that that is how you are supposed to create geometry.

The answer to give the prosepct is "Mastercam returns the intercept and give the added power and flexability to change it on the fly." The first time that your Xfrom, Translate, Join - the power of CAD tools starts to sink in.

The other mentality is to create the basic prismatic shape first - In SmartCAM, we would create our turning profile from start to finish. How do you deal with those ones? These guys are still white knuckled holding onto their keyboards and screaming... Eventually Darwin will look after them and they will be out of business.

I've always thought that was a pretty useful feature that very few other systems give you the capability of doing.

Create a horizntal line that has the sam X values of 2 known points where the Y value is say .5 larger than the first point. After you pick the second position and the prompt comes up with some 10 digit number, hit the right arrow key to un-highlight it then type in "+.5" and voila! Pain in the a** otherwise.