Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feet to Meg conversion

gcode

Older NC machines measure their memory capacity

in feet of tape. Does anyone know how many kilobytes are in a foot of tape.

We have an older machine that does not DNC well.

It gives its "memory left" in feet so we need to know the conversion factor so we can chop up the program into digestible bites. TIA

[ 10-09-2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Well I know this,

One line block of code can be a single command (2 spaces, like M1) or it can have as many spaces as there are columns on the screen, 39? 40 maybe. Each line block is an increment of that tape Length. It is linear rather than volumetric.

I know that dont help 'tho

We've got some old Monarch VMC's like that

KLG

Ever consider a BTR board that will emulate the tape reader. I have had several of these and used them with great success on most of the vintage equipment that was in the old shop. Now all the memory is in the local desktop computer - we used old 486's with a dos based communications package. I am sure that with a proper board, that CIMCO can offer a cost effective solution.