Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Depth cut question

Jim Whipple

I have a slot I need to cut in aluminum. I have V8 Mill I. The slot is .064 wide and .1 deep and .35 long. When I pocket with a .062 cutter and ask it to Please only go .02 deep each pass....she don't wanna. It ignores the depth cut field entirely and gos .1 deep. Is there something I'm missing here???? Granted it's a .004 clearance between the cutter and the slot, but I'm not using leadin's. I don't get it

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jim

Jim I tried what you said and left 1 finsh pass at .01 and then at .02 and worked well.

You know what would of been good for this would be the Slot mill in V9.

Even better slot mill in V9.1 were you could of used a new feater that would of given you cutter comp in there.

[ 10-18-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

quote:

Jim,

On your Roughing/Finishing parameters page, check to see if the box next to "machine finish passes only at final depth" is checked or not.

Dave

quote:

The slot is .064 wide and .1 deep and .35 long. When I pocket with a .062 cutter

Hi all,,, this only leaves .001 per side( or less if the cutter is from the library .0625)

Is it possible that because the tool can't fit in the slot until the slot is to size at the finish cut while at the finished depth?

[ 10-18-2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

quote:

Hi all,,, this only leaves .001 per side( or less if the cutter is from the library .0625)

Is it possible that because the tool can't fit in the slot until the slot is to size at the finish cut while at the finished depth?

I'm thinking it's got to be something like that...

Cause I just went in and changed the cutter dia to .062, turned on the finish pass at .001 and she runs justa fine.

Once again, thanks for the help

Jim

Version 9 Contour /ramp might have been of some help. I use it all the time to rough pockets (or slots in this case)very close to the size of the cutter.

Mr Bond has it correct, if you told it to leave .001 stock on the rough passes, It will ignore the roughing cycle and go directly to the finish pass due to the fact that there is only .00075 per side left. I hate that. I wish MC would come up with a stock error in cases like this.

Just my comment.

this is also related to a question I had about helixing into a hole when the cutter is near the bore size...

I always use Wear comp, leave the XY clearance at .01 or less and have to set the min and max rad quite low...sometimes it won't depth cut like this slot and I was having a little difficulty understanding why. But I think I'm getting a handle on it now.

Thanks all

Jim

quote:

Do you mean beside "Cutter Compensation Not Successful"?

Yes, Like what actually caused the error. "C.C. not successful due to stock , or , due to cutter size"

It would be nice to let the software think for us totally, but that's probably only needed late on a friday evening, when the job has to ship out before you can go home( Or have to go in early on a Sat.) biggrin.gif

quote:

It would be nice to let the software think for us totally, but that's probably only needed late on a friday evening, when the job has to ship out before you can go home( Or have to go in early on a Sat.)

Were you reading my mind today.

I kept talking to the computer and it would not move. eek.gif

You guys have a great weekend. cheers.gif