Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary efficiency

Eric S.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make my Haas 4-axis rotary movements more efficient. I'm using the mpmaster post. My problem is that whenever a new operation is to be done, either with the same tool or another, the rotary unwinds the whole 360 deg. around the part, to get to a position that is only 20, or so deg. in the opposite direction. Is there anything I can put in the post to have the rotary "swing both ways" biggrin.gif , and not have to reset.

Thanks.

I have the quick mode on. My axis of rotation doesn't go over 360 deg. It goes to 164. deg. and then it has to unwind to go to -164. deg.

In the post I added the line:

rev = 0#

in the 'pcoutrev' section of mpmaster. And this helped a bit.

My tools go along 2 contours 2d, and i'm using axis substitution, substituting the y axis. If this helps anyone.

I've done some work to the rotary area of mpmaster over the past few weeks, mainly concerning wind up during rotary substitution style toolpaths. Download the newest version from the Posts area of this site. Try your file with one_rev set to 0 and then set to 1. If neither satisfies your expectations, email your file to me with a description of what you are looking for.

The quick answer is that rotary substitution toolpaths tend to convert absolute Y positions into absolute A positions, without any windup counter. You can get the counter to track, but your results may end up winding up the axis more that you would anticipate. Tend to be personal preference on how and when you want to track the windup, versus when you want to ignore the windup. I have made some changes though to Mpmaster based on your sample.

Hey - it's all based on the efforts of the hard working CNC Software Post Dept! Getting a solid core post technology going is a lot of work. Mpmaster just has some cosmetic additions. If you think about it, CNC has a real open-source thing going when it comes to post processors. We just choose to give back to the community by making the one post available.

We use Mplfan as the basis for all of our lathe post work. The only thing we change in every case is the Home Position style, hard-coding it in the post rather than using misc values, misc integer 1.

[ 10-28-2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]