Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Laptop Suggestions?

jspangler

Hi

Need some suggestions on a decent ( inexpensive) laptop that can handle basic MC Mill level one stuff. Not many solids, minly using it for toolpaths, and transfering files to the control. My PC doesn't like staying in the shop, and is starting to give up.

Looking to spend UNDER $2000 if possible. What's the minimum I need, and what should I definitely stay away from.

Thanks

John

Video chipset is everything. Look for something with the nVidia GeForce4 Go chipset (460 is tops, ATM). If it's in the budget, consider the Quadro4 Go GL (very pricey). Whatever you do avoid chipsets such as ATI's Mobile Radeon and any chipsets from Trident, S3 or anybody else for that matter. In short, nVidia or bust.

i have the dell 8200 with the latest geforce card with 64 meg with tv in/out and all the bells and whistles. this card to me is great. i can hook my laptop up to my tv and watch dvd's while i work with mastercam at the same time with no gliches. i am pretty happy with it. obviously i don't do this on a regular basis, i just wanted to see if there would be problems.

quote:

If you are going to be using it for serial communications make sure it has a nine pin serial port. I actually came accross a laptop that didn't have one.

Most notebooks no longer ship with serial ports anymore. In that case, you could use a USB-to-Serial cable, if need be.

On a side note, the next PC specs do not include ISA ports, COM ports or floppy drives.

The M50 IS sweet. Now if I was smart enough to run it at optimum, I'd be miles ahead of where I am. I've been through the tech tips archives but I think I need some system level stuff to tweak it more. So many things auto start when you boot that I get lost with what needs to stay and what can be turned off.

Dell mobile M50 1.8Gig. 512 Meg. RAM. NVIDIA,QUADRO4 500 GO GL,64MB,. It was about 5 grand Canadian.

See ya...